Low cost tuning on a 306 diesel turbo?

whiffin

Hi, I've just bought a 1996 (N) 306 XLdt - great car.

I know turbo diesels can easily be tweaked to get extra power, just wondering what I can do to mine. I don't want to buying lots of bits or going over the top, and appreciate that I need to spend more money to get big results. Just wondered what I can do to make a little difference.

Two options I've been give so far are:

* Locate and tighten the wastegate so that it stays on for longer. Been told this will make quite a difference, but I'll need to make sure I jubilee-clip all hoses on tight as pressure will be higher.

* Locate the electronic boost valve (EBV) which determines when the turbo will kick in, and bypass with a manual valve (got from ebay) consisting of a spring and a ball, so that the turbo cuts in quicker and conistently rather than relying on signal from the ECU. been told this will produce 10-15% - although seems optimistic.

Will either of these work well or am I just wasting my time?

Any other simple low-cost methods I can use? Think I can clean, tighten, adjust bypass etc? I've never had experience with turbos, but am good with cars as my dad was a mechanic. Plus good with electrionics/PCs/soldering if needed.

Also, been looking at getting a chip, but noone will say if possible. Or if I can get one myself, or if I can remap using my PC and software. Is there a definative answer on this?

I'm sure you know what I mean here, sorry for all the questions, just unsure on what to do and want someone with experience to say "don't bother with X, buy Y is good etc". Even better, if there is a site with images etc - probably hoping for too much, but would be great.

Thanks for reading - and for any answers.

Apppreciated

Both the above methods put a strain on the turbo and you risk blowing the oil seals.
I think if you put the above 2 methods into operation but only a little bit you will hit the best compromise. Keeping the wastegate actuator open a little longer and some sort of better EBV.

A remap is certainly the best option but I'm not sure if one is available for your engine.

Thanks mate - appreciated.

Next question ... can anyone describe (or ideally supply photo or haynes manual page number) on where I find my EBV and wastegate ?

Anyone know for sure if my ECU can be remapped

Cheers mate - art least I know I'm looking in the right areas :wink:

Also - one more question ... I know it's a guess, but what sort of extra bhp could I gain with these methods without blowing things up?

Thanks

OKay, thanks, will do so (although it will be guesswork)

Can someone please tell me where the EBV and wastegate are? Is the wastegate easy to adjust?

Thanks

Can't get that engine remapped as no ecu ...you can do a stage 1 tune..i've done it on my 306 and it's loads better...it's get your screw drives and allen keys out jobby mate...

http://www.ottewilly.plus.com/pug306/technical/tuningtd/tuningtd.html

follow that guide...

you just have to find out which fuel pump you have (ethier bosch or lucas)
and which turbo you have (garratt or KKK there loads of variation within those brands but because of the age of your car it's going to be ethier the Garratt T" Or the KKK K05 i think)
I woudl recommend installing a temp boost guagefor when your trail and erroring...don't turn the boost past 18psi on the standard intercooler or you'll risk detonation and a new engine...

hope this helps...also you'll want to dissconnect your EGR...open your bonnet and to the right you have the battery...go behind there and you'll see a green plug just pop it out and leave it...if you can't find it in that place then you probebly haven't got one....

might i also suggest you become a member on www.pug306.net
i'm a member and theres loads of people on there that know loads about that car and engine and will tell you about doing that tune on your car if you get stuck...they helpt me a lot..

this is your deffinative answer mate....lol

Last edited:
i have a 306td when i rev the car out1 2 3and slow down it puts out blue diesal smoke and clogs the road up,,,,,,what is the cause

u know any one who can sort this out cheap,i,m in n,ireland

Hey there dude nice to see someone one has a 306 dt as well

right your problem could be one of 2 things....

1) theres oil getting in the cylinders
2) the timing is out

have you had your cam belt done as of late?
or had a new fuel pump?
Have you over filled with oil perhaps?
Does it sound "over loud" when you give it the beans?
(i know there fairly noisey engines anyway but i ment more noise than usual)

how many miles has it done?
Has it been serviced properly?

If I can know these then I might be able to help you mate

Also I can suggest a few mods that might benifit your cars health a bit.....nothing like tuning it up to get more power cause obviously your car has something wrong with it
although after thats sorted it can :bigsmile:

Hope all goes well

Brett