307 tuning an Hdi 90 bhp

bumari

Car
Peugeot 307 Hdi 2.0
Hi there everyone. I'm new to the forum, but have big plans for my car. As the title says I have a peugeot 307 with 2.0 Hdi 90 bhp. First of all I want to achieve 150 bhp without changing the turbocharger itself. I'm already searching for the best exhaust system that I can find and air filter replacement. Already found where I'll be doing ecu remap. But with these upgrades I'll achieve only about 120 bhp. So what could you advise me more to do with the engine?

P.S. No money limit

no money limit then get a new turbo on it.
even if you do manage to get 150bhp youll be straining the turbo so it wont last long.

bigger injectors will be needed and does the 90 have an intercooler ? if not get one

nitrous will get you a big bang as well.

Nope it doesn't. I am thinking about putting the K04 from audi. For it, i just have to buy the new injectors, exhaust manifold and an intercooler. Also I thought that It'll involve me to do something with the gearbox won't it? And still I think that I'm lacking a few things that i can do to the engine

Last edited:
not sure if the audi one will fit. i would have thought the 307 would use a VNT turbo in which case the K04 wouldnt be any good. you could look towards the VNT 15 VNT17 from the 1.9 diesels.

gearbox, clutch will be a must.

hivand welcome to the site:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:
if i were u,and wanted lot of power,i would do a whole engine swap...put in some 2.0 turbo petrol engine and then the sky is the limit(youl spend less money puting 200 hp engine than "takeing"yours to 150 hp)....but if u want diesel than start as pg adviced u....
another think i would advice u to do is fast-road camshaft and valve train,but im not 100 percent sure how it goes on disels,maybe hdi_fun will know...
also consider remaping after mods so u could use all the advantage of the mods....

Thanks turbonutter69 for the secong welcome :)
944, I think that you're right about the camshaft, cause I thought about that either if I want biger hp.
pggamer, could you explain what's an VNT turbo is? Because I thought that a K04 would fit me just fine.

P.S. Thank you for all of your advices mates :) I'm really a worm in tuning but want to become at least an average point at it, so all of your advices will help me very very much

Last edited:
VNT or VGT is a variable geometry turbo or variable nozzle turbo. The turbine blades themselves are fixed but the angle of entry of the exhaust gas is changed to that at low speeds the turbo spins up swiftly, and they geometry of the turbo is altered so that it doesn't impact too much upon exhasut flow whilst still providing strong boost pressure.

Don't bother with camshaft changes, diesel engines don't rev hard enough to benefit.

THe most you will get is about 150-160bhp. An intercooler will be essential as the 2.0 HDi 90 does not have one. After that a simple remap will give you 150-160bhp (it will tune much as the HDi 110 does).

"Don't bother with camshaft changes, diesel engines don't rev hard enough to benefit."
didnt know that...good tip....saves money and time...

You can get the piper cam for it and it helps breathing in the mid and top end up to 5500rpms

also you can get bigger injectors for these but they are very hard to come by, and the 2.2 injectors won't fit, I believe the injectors are called AMG injectors and thats not merc amg, but i'm pretty sure thats what they are called

an intercooler with an exhaust with a decat (the cat won't be required to pass an mot on that engine) and a decent induction system and a remap will get you to 150-160 bhp but you also need to get an uprated clutch, best to get an from helix

the k04 would be far too big for that engine, something like a gt17 would be more suitable as an upgrade but at 150 bhp the injectors are running at the maximum, however I do know that those engines will take up to 230 bhp,

What I would say to do after you intercool it is to get some water injection and lpg in there, and also an LSD is pretty much essential because it will be running around 260-270 lbft and even a stray onto a white line without one is enough to spin a front wheel, also running lpg will make the camshaft more beneficial as the lpg will help access some more top end poke, but it will be limited to the size of the turbo, turbo dynamics and turbo technics both do a hybrid turbo (gt15/17) for the hdi 90 and thats the best way to go

Last edited:
i had my hdi 90 remapped to a reasonable 135 but to go any higher i was told i would need an intercooler fitted as exhaust temperatures would be dangerous. the one out of the hdi 110 or 136 would be ideal as there isnt much room in there as you probably know!! i think the inlet manifold and all would be needed too but im no expert! if you had the intercooler, celtic tuning (which was where i had my done) quoted me they could easily tune it up to 150+

anyway however you look at it i would definately reccomend getting an intercooler.

hope this helps.

i had my hdi 90 remapped to a reasonable 135 but to go any higher i was told i would need an intercooler fitted as exhaust temperatures would be dangerous.

135, really? I doubt that they will have turned the boost up as the hdi 90's turbo isn't electronically controlled, and the lack of an intercooler, I mean the inlet temps are pretty high to start with, about 120 is about the most you will see from a remap on those due to the fact that there's a distinct lack of an intercooler and the fact you have to adjust the boost manually ie get under the car and shorten the wastegate arm, they will have probably turned up the fueling and advanced the injection timing a bit,

Have you had a full sports exhaust and a decat? if so then you may see 130 at a push

also something to mention the egr's can be disconnected on those without the ECU going mental (you could do on the 306)

nope my car was totally standard. they gave me a print out of the rolling road reading and a before and after showed it went from 98.2bhp @ 3,891rpm to 133.4bhp @ 3,981rpm.

i realise that every engine is different and i was lucky to start with 98.2 but your engine should be fairly similar anyway so it wouldnt be too different.

Well at least the gain seems about right,
however I don't have the HDi I have the old school XUDt the HDi 90 was the replacement engine in the 306
same rules apply though,
is your's an absurdly low milage example with no carbon build up in the intake and run on bp ultimate?

haha no i dont think so. 60000 miles 53 plate ive had it a year but before that i think it was a city runaround. dont know what fuel was used back then. i just use regular fuel-no supermarket though-but occasionally use an additive which cleans through. cant remember what it is called but it must work!!

Indeed it must, seriously though look into getting some cleaning foam in there to de gunk the manifold, i've seen them with loads of build up and it can blunt performance and also increase fuel consumption, and disconnect the EGR as well and that will stop it from happening again

I've heard good stuff about the cleaning foam. You could also remove the intercooler and flush it out with petrol and paraffin. Turbos all emit a bit of fine oil mist into the intake tract which, over time, can accumulate.

Yeah there's a fair bit in mine at the moment it's like a cokey oily cakey crap a thin layer everywhere, however my egr is permanently close now so it hasn't been growing
the previous owner to me was a granny so it got clogged up good and proper, I might get some on my next pay day and tell you lot how it goes :)