306 1.4 Tuning

saxmad77

Car
306 1.4 LX
Could anyone please tell me any of the possible upgrades that can be installed on a 1.4 to increase bhp?

I already have a K&N 57i, piper exhaust system and stainless exhaust manifold. I was just wondering whether there is anything else that can be done that is worth doing.

Cheers

P.S I can't get a new 306 with a bigger engine because of my age and insurance issues etc

Last edited:
The insurance is a real pain isn't it. At least you get a 30% reduction after year one (if you are good!)

I would concentrate on handling mods at first on your car.

The trouble is you can spend loads of money tuning it up with fast road cams, fuel pressure boost valves, bigger injectors and gas flowing the head but will still only gain a few extra BHP.

Welcome to TorqueCars and I hope you enjoy your time on here.

Hi,

thanks for the reply , in terms of handling do you mean lower, uprated shocks/suspension etc, also, what effects will this have on my car and can you recommend any products?

Cheers

Thats it! You certainly get what you pay for. Lower and harder is generally better but don't go too silly. You still want to use the car on a daily basis. Koni shocks are pretty good but to be honest Im not sure whats around for the 306.

I've been talking to a few friends and they have suggested fitting new performance cams and then getting my ECU remapped as this should have a good effect on performance, is there any complications/problems that could occur if I was to do this and is there any point, also do you have any suggestions as to what sort of thing to go for,

cheers

Saxmad77

you might see 15bhp with cams and a chip, think it might be too old to have a remapale ecu, but you will need a custom rmap to take it into effect.
you could mess up fitting thr cams / pulleys an have the timing all off

Unfortunatly you may find it to be a bit like swings and round abouts with a 1.4. Not bad little engine really as my misses had a 106 with the same engine (106 xsi iirc) and that was quite nippy but it didn't take us long to realise that this engine will only go sar far regardless of how much tuning. So there for we decided to improve the looks, the stereo and the handling of her car until she can afford a bigger engine (she has the 406 SRi 2.0 turbo engine in mind lol). So as said above, you might find it far better value for money to improve certain things but leave off the tuning untill you can afford the insurance.

Ok, thanks for the advice, I am now hoping to purchase a 6 speed gti 6 and store it somewhere, gradually adding tuning parts as I get the money. However I am also probably going to tune my 1.4 as it will be a good, easy engine to learn on before moving up a level to the 2.0L and it will be interesting to see just how fast I can make it travel!

Thanks again for your input, and good luck with the 406!

cheers,

Saxmad