what whould be the best next step

mattrufus

Wrench Pro
Car
suzuki sx4 1.6
hi guys trying to gather info to make sure i go in the right direction.

i'm after more power from my 1.6 petrol suzuki sx4.

sofar i have decat manifold and an simota induction kit.
i'll be ordering a underdrive pulley next week for it.

my aims is the sx4 is to get kore power and tourque under 2.5 revs as in its current form the car no low end power until you get high in the rev range (basically like the motorcycle inline 4 cyclinder engines.).so its fine on motorways and fast duel carrage ways but not very good in towns or when i try nd tow my supermoto around to trackdays

my next logical thought would have been a piggyback ecu and try and adjust the fuel map to come in earlyer

but a friend surgested cams instead i was think swift sport cams as both cars use the same m16a vvt engine.
mine produces 107 bhp and the swift sport 125bhp.
i was thinking cams and if it would work the swift sport ecu? any other surgestions??

i would love a turbo for it but i havent got the 2k for it.

A turbo is unlikely to give you more low down power and if that is what you want cams probably are the best bet (with a remap)
certainly an aftermarket ecu will help but you are starting to talk ££s,

Also as said above the head has to be able to handle the gases

thanks for the replys

no the original ecu can be flashed but ony 2-3 comapany's will do it suzuki and denso did good job on it.

so greed cms would be a good logical step to get some more go

i need bottom end power instead of top end.

I would have thought cams would give you top end power at the expense of lower down.
If you want better response the a remap would be what I would go for. A decat would help with response too.

so keep the second cat.
had a quick look on line i need a road cam as everyting starts moving power up the rev range and loosing bottom end which is not what i want to do.

so my other option would be a ecu remap/piggyback

think more along the lines of the piggyback then cams as what i have found on the web my limited options i would be moving the power in the wrong direction to what i want

i think a piggy combined with the underdrive pulley is the better more flexible option at the moment.

would a greddy emanage blue ecu be what i need or would i have to get the emanage ultimate??

greddy emange blue
http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/Greddy_EManage_Blue-THOR00447.asp

greddu emanage ultimate
http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/Greddy_EManage_Ultimate-THOR00448.asp

also whould it be safe to buy a used piggyback ecu??

If you are looking at the best ecu to get the best advice I can give you is to speak to the tuner who will be mapping your car.
Different tuners prefer different ecus and will be able to get the most out of the one they work best with.
If you have already decided where you are going to take it then speak to them and what your goals are.
What sort of budget do you have for the ecu?
This along with mapping costs is going to be a factor on which one you can afford. You will probably get a good discount on the mapping if you bought the ecu from the same place.
I can advise you on a few really good tuners if you like but it's all down to what you want to spend really.

i'm looking really £300 to £ 400 tops to be honest i know thats not a lot for a ecu as the greddy ultimate is 400 from the states and about 600 new over here.

while the aem is 250 from what ive seen on a quick look at prices

I think mapping alone is around that sort of price. Best thing to do is speak to the person who is going to map it and get some recommendations from them.
Like I said before you may get a deal if they are selling the ecu too

Diesel engines have inherently higher brake effective [cylinder] pressures than petrol engines. OK - we need to be fair here and acknowledge that all currently available diesel cars utilise at least one turbocharger, which helps things firther still. This leads to there being a huge amount of torque being available right down the the very low end in the useable rev range.

The downside with diesel is that the rev range is limited at the upper end, but many current four and six cylinder derv engines will rev happily and purposefully to over 5000rpm.

If you like, for example, that effortless third gear 20mph pull (and I mean hard pull, shoving you into the seat and holding you there) then derv is almost certainly the way to go in my opinion.

I'm currently driving about in an ageing BMW 528i and it feels lifeless compared to my previous car, which was Peugeot 406 2.2 HDi (incidentally a 16 valve design, unusual for its age). OK it had been remapped but the midrange grunt was phenomenal. Granted the BMW will catch up with some heavy right footwork but I do like the fling down the road feel of modern common rail diesels.

Go and scav a test drive in a Mondeo 2.2 TDCi and see what you reckon