Torque Cars

What tread depth do you replace your tyres

Discussion in 'Wheels, suspension and tyres' started by obi_waynne, 23 August 2019.

1. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    At what tread depth do you replace your tyres?

At a recent MOT Audi advised me that all tyres with 3mm were too low and that I should replace them. I didn't, especially as we were going into summer, if it was Winter time I may well have done.

What are your thoughts? When do you replace tyres on your car?

2. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    Over here tyres are still legal until they are down to the TWI's PROVIDED THAT they still have the same depth across the whole tread width however they would be dangerous in wet conditions due to the tyres tread designs shallow depths inability to disperse water and would be prone to hydroplaning = the tyres being lifted off the tarmac by a wedge of water building up in front of the tyre at speed leading to a loss of control.

When it comes to semi slick track day only tyres they handle / grip better as they don't roll around as much like they would when new with deeper tread. Some drivers even have new tyres buffed down to get a faster time.

Last edited: 23 August 2019
    obi_waynne likes this.
  3. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    I thought Aquaplaning was a swedish rock group:)

TCJBOLDIE likes this.