Torque Cars

Pump up the tyre or replace the wheel

Discussion in 'Wheels, suspension and tyres' started by obi_waynne, 8 September 2017.

1. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    When you have a slow puncture do you prefer to pump up the tyre and wait as long as you can before replacing/repairing it or do you fit the spare wheel as soon as you can?

I know people who pump up tyres on a daily basis rather than get them fixed, it just seems like a false economy to me, it wrecks your fuel consumption running on a partially inflated tyre.

Plus the nail or screw gets very hot in the tyre and can potentially cause a blowout. The side of the tyre is weakened as it's now supporting the cars weight and the handling is dramatically compromised.

So what do you do if you suspect a puncture?

2. Lunchmoney

Lunchmoney The Torque Meister

Poole, UK
    Car:
    '98 JDM Impreza STI
    Get it checked and repaired asap.

obi_waynne likes this.
  3. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    Exactly! A slow puncture is merely an accident waiting to happen if it decides to let go when you least expect it i.e. lane 3 on the motorway.

obi_waynne likes this.
  4. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    There is a woman that works with me at my part time job that has been driving on a slow leak tyre for app a year and has finally had it fixed after I bought it to her attention and explained how potentially dangerous it can be in an emergency situation.
    She says that she can't feel that it is affecting the way it drives yet it is obviously under-inflated to an experienced eye.

Ignorance is bliss .V(