Tips on improving my fuel economy

mwalker

Car
kia sportage xi
Copied to the engine forum as this is an interesting question. you should get more MPG improving tips in here as well;) - Admin

High my name is mike and am new to forum' are there any of you guys there how have played around with a kia sport age 2.0 petrol engine to gain improved fuel economy? Any tips would be very much appreciated. Thanks mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: how to improve fuel economy

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Modern cars are pretty well sorted before they leave the factory so there isn't much room for improvement.

Don't carry around a lot of clutter.

An economy remap

Driving slower is the best way to improve economy :)

Welcome to TC buddy. With OG on that, fuel consumption related to driver driving style, they had a BMW M3 which we all know to be a performance orientated sports car, use less fuel than a Toyota prius around the Top Gear test track, driving at the same speed. Use simple tactics like, don't increase speed you'll have to brake for, accelerate at a more natural pace rather than forcing it etc etc.

Oh and remember any external ad ons like roof racks or body kits will influence aerodynamics which will increase fuel consumption. Ensure tyre pressures are what they should be and keep the service history up to date. [ am I talking too much again? ]

High my name is mike and am new to forum' are there any of you guys there how have played around with a kia sport age 2.0 petrol engine to gain improved fuel economy? Any tips would be very much appreciated. Thanks mike
Hi all thanks for the sound advice all good to me and will take the tips on board, I think driving style would be the biggest factor, as my car is shaped like a brick and I can average 30 mpg if I am care full I should not complain too much! for anyone interested I have fitted a K &N panel filter and iridium spark plugs which have had no obvious effect on performance or economy at least they should be good for 100,000 miles - in theory at least. Thanks guys for your response s - Mike

Believe it or not, but fitting a very heavy spring to the accelerator pedal will improve your consumption dramatically. It stops all those little movements and makes it easier to keep a constant setting. It also stops you from stomping unless you really mean it. Also makes for a more comfortable tourer as you can "rest" your foot on the pedal without having to keep the pressure off. I've found some cars have left me with a cramp in the shin area trying to keep the pedal off the floor. A strong spring sorted this out easily.

Have you removed the dead body from your boot? No really... have you?! Excess weight in your car will have an impact on economy. As will your tyres... have you checked their pressure to make sure they're not under inflated or over inflated? A remap won't help you with the economy for your specific vehicle. Also, if you don't need your a/c on... switch it off. Because of the prolonged winter/autum in the UK your car will take longer to warm up so you may notice you're using more fuel at this time of year compared to last year (I certainly have anyway!). Tyres, a/c, weight... these are the 3 factors i'd constantly monitor and have noticed from personal experience have made a big difference to economy.

hth...
Mo

Assuming that everything is working correctly; that you're not carry loads of excess weight; no needless aerodynamic hindrances - roof racks when they're not required; tyre pressures correct (slightly over by 5-10% is no bad thing); suspension geometry and wheel alignment correct.

It's now down to journey type and driving style.

30mpg isn't fabulous, I can better that in mixed driving in an automatic BMW 528i but my mixed driving is quite possibly different to yours so we have our evidence that journey type and driving style are the biggest factors.

Smooth driving style ,no sudden acceleration read the traffic flow & don't charge up tp lights,corners and brake hard at the last moment.