tips on engine swaps?

yawblacklabel

Car
mitsubishi 3000gt
me and my cousins have finished the cosmetic work and replacing old wiring and such on my protege and we're ready to swap the engine... ive found one its a 02' 2.0L 4cylnder.but i got a question (probably a dumb one) does it matter if your car is standard or auto transmission when u buy an engine.. they are telling me no but i wanted to make sure and any advice on turbo kits???

on a auto engine you have to take the sprigert bearing out which is normally a brass ring in the end of the crack shaft if you are fitting a manual gearbox

Turbos need custom exhaust and intake ducting, recirc valves, wastegates and complex mapping to handle the power curve.

Supercharges bolt on, ideally replacing the aircon and just need the custom intake. The mapping is easier do as it is an RPM based power curve and there is no lag to take into account.

Both have their pros and cons but I would say a supercharger is the best option if you are fitting it to a NASP engine and don't want to do much work.

I would also say the flywheel is different as on an auto you bolt the torque convertor to the flywheel, but all you do is use your old one.

there is only a few cars that the manal boxes and the auto boxes are the same stud patten some rovers you can change the plates on the block but most they dont fit

and supercharger or tturbo superchager wins every time had a turbo on the c70 t5 was good after 2.5k before then was so slow supercharger works right away

and supercharger or tturbo superchager wins every time had a turbo on the c70 t5 was good after 2.5k before then was so slow supercharger works right away

It's called dropping down a gear, shoulda tried that maaaayte :cheesy: Honestly, if you can drive well lag is virtually non-existant on a good setup. And that's coming from someone who's used to driving Seb4 GT25R GT's that don't hit full boost until 4.5k+. A supercharger won't give you as much power or torque as it's turbocharger equivalent. The "kick" of a turbo is also quite amusing, whereas a Supercharger is more progressive as it builds boost as rpm rise via the crank or whatever it's driven by.

Don't forget centrifugal impellor speed is directly proportionate to RPM, so the pressure is limited at low RPM on a centrifugal charger. Superchargers (depnding on type) can be, tehcnically, actually less efficient that turbochargers, as firstly they can drain power from the engine and secondly Turbo's use exhaust gases that would of otherwise been wasted.

Easier and usually cheaper to set up though.

and what about those performance chips can they be partnered with a turbo or supercharger or does that equal epic fail

perfomance chips are pretty much gon now mate, just about all cars from around 2001 have flashable ECUs which mean you can map on the fly, definettly required for turbos.
suprcharger you can get away on low boost but to get the bst it would need to be mapped as well