Suggestions please £2000 to spend on a 1.6

billyo

Track Warrior
I'm looking around at cars at the moment. I have £2000 to spend but due to insurance I need to stick to around a 1.6 litre engine.

I want something fast and fun and it doesn't have to be that practical although I will be using it every day for work I dont have kids or anything that needs to go in the back.

What ideas do you have on cars I should be looking at?

The Focus 1.6 Zetec isn't fast as such but it is very nippy and handles superb. All Focus Zetecs IIRC come with sports suspension as standard so they do handle superb.
Speed isn't everything if you can't get round the corner.

What about a common rail turbo diesel and a remap. Clio dCi 65 will go to a reasonable 91bhp but give a big 160+ lbft of torque. That torque figure is more in keeping with a 2.2-2.3 petrol engine.

I'd look at maybe a Skoda Fabia MkI 1.9TDi, if you can find one in your price range.

You should get a good price on insurance, whilst getting a nice car to boot.

Plus as HDi says, with a modern-ish diesel remaps can give you a nice perfomance boost at a later date - as good as a new car without the cost.

What about a Honda Civic? You can get a lot of power in a Honda 1.6, in fact the Honda 1.4 is often as powerful as other makers 1.6 engines.;)

Ford Fiesta Zetec S. Quicker than most 1.6's out there, especially for your price range. I know other don't agree but it looks the b*llocks aswell :)

Jap cars seem to cost loads more on insurance? Is that cos they are faster?

The Focus is looking good, Im looking at one tonight hopefully.

It's not just body panels, everthing seems to cost more.:D

Jap cars also tend to be quicker than the same engined European cars so they get some additional loading for this.

It's not just body panels, everthing seems to cost more.:D

Jap cars also tend to be quicker than the same engined European cars so they get some additional loading for this.

Parts are pricey but my experience is that you'll need very very few of them indeed.

They are disturbingly reliable

Parts are pricey but my experience is that you'll need very very few of them indeed.

They are disturbingly reliable

From my experience Honda charge a lot for new products such as body panels and my local dealer isn't very helpful when it comes to parts. However, with the right contacts and sources you can quite often find any part you're after without going to Honda anyway.

And yes, incredibly reliable.