Economical runaround suggestions please

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Right. If I manage to get made redundant this week, I am going to need a cheap and economic runaround. Don't panic, I'm not going soft :). Keeping the Chevy, Robin Hood and Elan but will need something economic for pottering around locally. The money saved on petrol for the Chevy Blazer (18mpg) will pay for the car and its running costs!

Looking for a small turbo diesel that Alex can chip for improved economy. Willing to pay between £500-1000, maybe £1500 at a push. Anything considered as long as it isn't silver. The only other criterion is max mpg.

Hit me with your suggestions..............

Mk2 Punto JTD. Excellent engine, reliable, 57mpg combined, cheap to tax run and insure, good looking (imo) and can be mapped to 125bhp in a car that weighs sub-1000kgs. Pure win!

Seat Ibiza 1.9TD - earlier ones are tuneable but shoudl average over 50mpg anyway. They're also pretty robust compared to similar aged Renaults and Vauxhallsboth mechanically and in the unfortunate event of a RTC.

Would these cars also be good for a student first timer?

Yeah. Avoid the non turbo 1.9 Ibiza and Polo models (they are essentially the same car.)

We have a non turbo one and the performance is just about bearable but the TD models give nearly 10mpg more along with much better performance.

Polo's are Golfs that shrunk in the wash! I suppose the Ibiza could be considered a shrunken Leon.

Fact is that the Ibiza is built on a Polo floorpan and shares lots of parts, engines for example. They are well put together though - which is correct for a VAG car.

"Apart from having to sell the house to pay for the conversion

Enjoy driving an electric car?"
Do I enjoy driving electric? you bet I do, ideal for short trips, I have the use of my friend's Reva(Called G whizz in England) it is made here in Bangalore and has a range of 80 Kms(50 miles) more than enough for town commuting.
If I have the time I will be building an electric dragster some time next year.

"Apart from having to sell the house to pay for the conversion

Enjoy driving an electric car?"
Do I enjoy driving electric? you bet I do, ideal for short trips, I have the use of my friend's Reva(Called G whizz in England) it is made here in Bangalore and has a range of 80 Kms(50 miles) more than enough for town commuting.
If I have the time I will be building an electric dragster some time next year.

The point is that my existing vehicles all do a specific job. The Chevy wouldn't be much use towing a covered trailer and car if it could only go 50 miles :)

The Robin Hood is a pure toy.

The Elan is a project.

The economic vehicle is an extra one to potter about in saving money so I can keep the others :) I have too many other projects already so don't need another :)

The electric dragster sounds interesting, keep us informed.

Peugeot 106 Diesel does silly MPG and is quite chuckable in the corners. Purchase price tends to be a bit higher though due to the demand for them.

Peugeot 106 Diesel does silly MPG and is quite chuckable in the corners. Purchase price tends to be a bit higher though due to the demand for them.

Ibiza/Polo both much easier and safer to drive. The Pug has no PAS and is built like a biscuit tin. I'd avoid Clios and Corsas for the same reasons.

Ibiza/Polo both much easier and safer to drive. The Pug has no PAS and is built like a biscuit tin. I'd avoid Clios and Corsas for the same reasons.

Can you imagine the grief I would get on here if I bought a Corsa? :)