Reprogramming PCMs on cars.

Hello.
I am a technical school student. My objective is all electric on the car.

It would be an interesting to learn how to tweak PCMs, since I see several practical uses for the knowledge.
People use it in areas from car theft to tuning and engine redesigning.

Is there any way I can learn what programming goes into PCMs and any method I can make my PC communicate with it? How to program it.

If I want to tweak a PCM of, let's say an 07 Honda Civic, where do I go look for resources?

Are PCMs programmed in Assembly?

Thank you.

hello and welcome
theres alot of information on the PCM (ECU) and certain software can only read it where as other software can write to it. tweaking a map takes alot of thinking and checking sensors

hello and welcome
theres alot of information on the PCM (ECU) and certain software can only read it where as other software can write to it. tweaking a map takes alot of thinking and checking sensors

Can you point any specific ones?
What do I begin my "education" with?

What is the linking hardware and is there any textbook?

I went to Amazon ,Google, and other places to look for books on the subject and there aren't many.

What is the official name of PCM redesigning?
Thank you.

Last edited:
there isnt alot of info on it as every ECU is programmed differently
i use VCDS but this only covers VAG group cars and with my cable only to around 2004. it allows me to change certain parts, recode the immobiliser, switch on extras that were optional extras, adjust the service schedule.

i couldnt however connect this up to a BMW as it wouldnt read.

I believe it's called engine remapping. From what I know, there are remapping modules that you can use with spliced in box, direct fitted connection, or replacement PCM/ECU. I've even seen in magazines the wireless ones. you strike me as someone with a laptop and you can run your car with one if you have the software. I don't know what it is since I have no means of doing it.

I think the cheapest way is with a laptop.

cheapest way would be to get someone else to do it ;)
by the time you have got the software (expensive part) and learnt how to map it properly, along with learning the coding. you may have made a few mistakes and need new parts

theres some areas on ECUs that are easily changed to allow for features that are withheald on lower spec models

Full agreement in the cheapest way being to have someone else do it. But, imagine for a second the amount of money to be made if you're one of the few who know what they're doing in a world of 1s and 0s that tells a car how to better perform. All your buddies would probably have no problem throwing you some cash to offset the expenses. ;)

There are careers to be made of it so if you're really motivated, and well funded, you can do it!:bigsmile:

ohh yes there is money to be made but remember the map you could make for one engine lets say a 1.8 theres a good chance that it wouldnt work as well on a 2.0 or 1.4

and to do it properly you need a rolling road so a massive outlay is needed to start up

By rolling road do you mean a Dyno? I guess that's the only legal way to do it unless you take it to the track. I wouldn't suggest trying to use the same map for even the same sized engine. Different mods and aftermarket ignitions not to mention having to account for vastly variable amounts of wear has to be accounted for. A few or numerous test runs making minor changes from the start seems pretty safe and effective.

Obviously,if you're willing to put in the time, money, and effort it'll pay off, but, like P said it's easier and cheaper to take it to someone who already has.