Torque Cars

d turbo.......turbo upgrade

Discussion in '306/307/308/309 forums' started by Ramage1, 30 April 2012.

1. Ramage1

Ramage1 Full member

scotland,edinburgh
    Car:
    306 1.9 d turbo s
    hi guys,new to here i have a 1.9 d turbo s and wondered if i could put what would essentially a bigger turbo in it to give it more oooomph:blink1:

2. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    Greetings and Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend! :)

I am unable to help you with your question directly, but hopefully somebody can point you in the right direction for the knowledge that you seek!

Good luck! :)

3. davalav

davalav Moderator

Essex, England
    Car:
    Mini Cooper S R56
    Welcome to TorqueCars Buddy!

Unfortunetly, swapping turbo's isn't a straight forward job. best bet would be hybrid turbo's, which often comes in the mix of a Subaru turbo ( TD04 ) and a Saab turbo ( Garrett T25 ) Best thing for the D turbo would be a stage 1 tune. This will see you increase max fuelling and boost to create quite a bump in power. Leave the turbo swap untill you want to get into the 150 - 160 hp range. on top of that you will need forged internals, as the internal compression is massive when running these cars with high boost. Also you will need to fit a boost gauge to the car, if you over tune the boost then your car will explode. Ideally, the car should be running around 12 psi stock. apon tuning, you want to see around 17 psi on stock internals.

If your interested in the Stage 1 go to youtube and search D turbo stage 1 tune. It's your best bet, instead of me trying to explain how to do it. ;)

Last edited: 1 May 2012
  4. Ramage1

Ramage1 Full member

scotland,edinburgh
    Car:
    306 1.9 d turbo s
    cheers guys i have a feeling hopefully its been tuned properly a little before because it has a turbo gauge inside the car already and hitting just about max revs its showing 17psi which iv read up on and seems pritty good,looked into getting it chiped but quickly found out that wasnt possible coz it doesent have a ecu am i riight ?

5. davalav

davalav Moderator

Essex, England
    Car:
    Mini Cooper S R56
    Yeah your correct. All mechanically timed bud, not an ECU in sight! Minus the airbag.
    If it is boosting at 17psi, the previous owner has performed the stage 1 already. If you can still get into contact with him, ask him. Next step would be to find a Bosch VE pump. Which is far more stable and is much more tunable.

6. Ramage1

Ramage1 Full member

scotland,edinburgh
    Car:
    306 1.9 d turbo s
    ok will do i thin kthe guy that did the stage 1 was the guy before the guy that sold it to me unfortunatly but ill have a look at the pump you suggested,cheers again :blink1:

7. Ramage1

Ramage1 Full member

scotland,edinburgh
    Car:
    306 1.9 d turbo s
    out of curiosity what exactly will the pump help with ?

8. davalav

davalav Moderator

Essex, England
    Car:
    Mini Cooper S R56

the current pump which is more then likely a lucus fuel pump, is very... Crap. Basically. It hasn't got stronger internals, you can only increase fuelling a little bit. With a bosch pump, it's complete opposite, it's very tunable, very very strong and very relaible. Plus if you do bolt on a larger turbo, it will help with the fuel delivery better. More fuel more power basically.

One of our fellow members, Jarrus, is currently doing a project on a D turbo 306. Head to the WIP/ Projects page and look up ' Old lady finally gets what she deserves. Check his thread out. I am sure it will help.

9. davalav

davalav Moderator

Essex, England
    Car:
    Mini Cooper S R56
    In all honestly... Get the supension sorted first mate. Some nice coilovers will see it nicely, new wishbone arms and try to fit some gti6 brakes and calipers. Much better then the pants brakes that come stock.

10. Ramage1

Ramage1 Full member

scotland,edinburgh
    Car:
    306 1.9 d turbo s
    its already been lowered but its just the springs unfortunatly my old 206 was on coilovers and handled like a go kart was brilliant :lol:,so gt6 brakes coilovers and a new pump,better get saving eh :toung:,cheers again mate

11. davalav

davalav Moderator

Essex, England
    Car:
    Mini Cooper S R56
    haha.. Save away my friend. Best place to look would be Ebay for the pump. If you can try to get a low milage one. One more thing... Decat exhaust system! ;)

12. Ramage1

Ramage1 Full member

scotland,edinburgh
    Car:
    306 1.9 d turbo s
    i was thinking about doing that does it change the fuel comsumption much ?

13. davalav

davalav Moderator

Essex, England
    Car:
    Mini Cooper S R56

Well.. If you floor it all the time you'll get like 20mpg. Drive like a sane person and the fuel comsumption stays around the same.

14. Ramage1

Ramage1 Full member

scotland,edinburgh
    Car:
    306 1.9 d turbo s
    id say i average about 40 - 50 mph

15. davalav

davalav Moderator

Essex, England
    Car:
    Mini Cooper S R56
    Of course fuel pump mods will decrease your mpg. but be careful and it will remain the same.

16. jarrus

jarrus Pro Tuner

West Midlands, UK
    Car:
    Suzuki Swift Sport
    I should add my 2p

There are 4 oem turbos and 2 oem injector pumps,
    4 turbos are:
    Garrett T2
    Garrett GT15
    KKK K14
    KKK K03

Injector Pumps are:
    Lucas CAV
    Bosch VE

Lucas pumps and K14 turbos are the most common and in your case I would bet that is what you have,

Hybrid is an option, the cartridge and compressor cover from a KKK K04 from a 1.8T VAG engine can be transplated into the K14 turbine housing with a little work, oil lines will need to be changed though as they aren't a straight fit,
    There are other home brew hybrid options I'm sure but I'm yet to explore them,
    Other is to buy a hybrid, you're looking at £500-700 from Turbo Dynamics for there stage 1 or stage 2 repectively, expensive yes, but they are plug and play with no messing.
    Other than that you can retro fit other turbos, Garrett T25's and Mitsubishi TD04l-13g's are popular but I would personally recommend a Garrett GT2056 as the compressor compliments the engine rather well, just be sure to buy a wastegated version rather than a VNT/VGT to which there are many out there, GT2056's in wastegated form can be had from certain Iveco vans and also from the 2.7 diesel Ssanyong engine.

As for a present boost limit... these engine ae strong but not indestructable (not like Mercedes OM60x engines) boost limit realistly is about 30 psi (~2 bar) with a standard weight car and more if you've stripped it and less if you've loaded with ICE it's all to do with engine load.

150 hp is possible from a standard turbo if you run a Bosch VE with upgraded internals but you'll be producing loads of black smoke and the police won't be very happy with your (niether will MOT man)

Intercooler upgrade is a must, so is an exhaust upgrade and water/meths and cam upgrades are optional but worth while,

There is still loads I haven't mentioned... but you can look over my project thread in the mean time, it will be updated so but there is still a fair bit to read in the mean time...

Regards

Brett

17. jarrus

jarrus Pro Tuner

West Midlands, UK
    Car:
    Suzuki Swift Sport
    PS to look at my project, click my sig....

18. jarrus

jarrus Pro Tuner

West Midlands, UK
    Car:
    Suzuki Swift Sport
    Suspension.... something to metion...

Don't go for cheap coilovers, there rubbish, stay with the decent stuff...
    Koni, SPAX, GAZ, Bilstein, Eibach, KW,

I use Koni yellow dampers and lowering springs, they are good for the money but I will be looking to upgrade again in the future, also GTI6 rear beam is worth while as are GTi6 front brakes you'll need 15" wheels or bigger, don't use crappy tyres, also rear torsion bar and rear ARB upgrades are worth looking into and over looked by many and is a major cause of understeer in these, people go stiffer on the front and leave the back on standard TB's and this difference in the springing rates will cause the car to understeer,

19. davalav

davalav Moderator

Essex, England
    Car:
    Mini Cooper S R56
    There is a lot I missed then! If it's okay, I will refer to a user on the TDOCUK.co.uk forum. He wrote up a guide using lucus pump and what ever turbo comes on a 1998 D turbo, he said he had it around 150 mark. I may be mis informed, if I can find it I'll post it here. but he had very little of boost smoke thanks to this method. What do you make of it Jarrus?

http://www.tdocuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6900

I think he is doing the opposite of what the common 'Stage 1' is and how its performed.

20. jarrus

jarrus Pro Tuner

West Midlands, UK
    Car:
    Suzuki Swift Sport
    this is th best method of tuning the lucas pump, used that method on a guys car on here and the results were brilliant,

130bhp and 200lbft was what jp got on 21 psi of boost, which a health gain considering the standard engine has 90bhp and 145lbft

21. davalav

davalav Moderator

Essex, England
    Car:
    Mini Cooper S R56
    Huge gain mate! Would it be advisable to run a FMIC before dialling the boost to that pressure? Or would stock IC be enough? Admittedly, the stock IC sucks even at low boost.

22. jarrus

jarrus Pro Tuner

West Midlands, UK
    Car:
    Suzuki Swift Sport
    he was using the standard ic on that but youd gain more with an fmic and more fuel, an fmic on its own wont make more power

23. Ramage1

Ramage1 Full member

scotland,edinburgh
    Car:
    306 1.9 d turbo s
    cheers guys amazing helping hands,im not sure if ill get everything as im scared that i do all this then the engine packs in as its already done 137 thou!! i know they can last forever but im not sure how well looked after it was before me

24. jarrus

jarrus Pro Tuner

West Midlands, UK
    Car:
    Suzuki Swift Sport
    change your oil regular, 5w40 fully synthetic is recommended by your truely every 6 months or 6k miles which ever comes first 137k is still nothing.... ive seen track day dturbos with 200 hp on 120k mile engines (not rebuilt) so tune away my friend

25. Ramage1

Ramage1 Full member

scotland,edinburgh
    Car:
    306 1.9 d turbo s
    wow,yeah i was gonna keep doing a regular change anyway just to keep her sweet,suppose if you say its nothing ill have to belive you and shove every well worth while penny into it :)