Changing down through the gears.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
When you approach a junction do you change down through the gears? I've noticed the following.

1) Just brake and dip the clutch at the last minute.
2) Change down 4th, 2nd 1st
3) Put car into second or third depending on speed and dip clutch at the last minute.

Which were you taught to do and which method do you use?

When you approach a junction do you change down through the gears? I've noticed the following.

1) Just brake and dip the clutch at the last minute.
2) Change down 4th, 2nd 1st
3) Put car into second or third depending on speed and dip clutch at the last minute.

Which were you taught to do and which method do you use?

Taught the first one but if i think the light is about to change i try and stay in second as i roll to the light.

haha, tricky one, i know i got taught to go all the way from whatever gear you were in right down t first but thats just stupid. i tended to coast a lot when i was driving, if i got too slow i put it in to second. i never used first xcept from when i was starting. i did get taught to do achange from 4th-2nd, but i always thought it was bad for gear box.
answer i guess is coast to a stop before starting up again in whichever gear is suitable.
Enjoi

Ive always been taught to put it into 3rd and release the clutch to use engine braking, then do the same second and first and then before it stalls, dip the clutch. This seems to be the way everyone is being taught (by driving instructors anyway) but since passing my test, i always just dip the clutch, put it into neutral and brake normally.

The method above with the changing down gears and using the engine braking is said to be good for the engine but it just sounds like unessential wear & tear on the gearbox and clutch, sounds unhealthy and the car jerks like mad.

No, I don't. That's going too far. You try getting a diesel into first above 5mph!

haha I know exactly what you mean!

You have to be going like 1/2 mph to put it into first or reverse. And speaking of first gear, dunno if its just my car but im never in first for long, it gets to 2.5k revs in like half a second so im basically pulling off in 2nd doing like 10mph and its still very torquey.

TO PIxel - they're all like that in first gear. It's done to take up the 'slack' before the turbo does anything useful. Otherwise you'd need hours to get it to 10mph. Not a problem generally but imagine dragging a heavy trailer up Porlock hill with a long first.

PS - best not to select reverse until you've stopped. There's no synrco on rev gear and you'll crunch up the gear teeth.

One thing to bear in mind that a brake pad = £30 wheras a new gearbox = £600+

I think I prefer the idea of using the brakes for slowing up, if it is a fast corner I will certainly change down. But at a junction I would say it is better from a mechanical point of view to use the brakes. Does engine braking make that much of a difference? Why were many of us taught to change down when stopping? What are the benefits?

Brakes are slowing, gears for going. Doesn't mean you shouldn't downshift while braking in anticipation of going again tho.

As always - I'll take auto if it's offered.