Raising the car without changing the suspension

Yugguy

Torque King
Car
Merc C220Cdi Elegan
Ok. I changed the shocks and springs a couple of years back and there's nothing wrong with them but as they have slowly settled the car is now just a little bit too low. Only maybe half an inch, but it could just do to be a bit higher.

It makes sense to me that I could raise the car itself by simply putting spacer washers in where the top of the suspension mounts bolt to the chassis.

Or is this a ridiculous idea? if it is, is there any other way I can do it?

Cheers

Progressively wound springs of the same height as the original ones will cause the car do deflect less as more load is put on them. So the static ride height will be the same as standard but you'll have a firmer ride on the move and less sinking as the car is loaded up, cornered or braked.

I suppose it depends if you actually want a to increase the static riding height or just want there to be less lowering when then springs are loaded up during driving.

I'm not sure that actually raising the ride height alone is particularly beneficial or safe but I'm not sure that it isn't either ;)

I want the height to be higher as it's gone too low as everything has settled, and my tow-bar bracket that is the weirdest one I've ever seen and is curved downwards catches on speed bumps. Only by half an inch so yes, I wondered if it would make it roll more but just half an inch shouldn't be an issue hopefully.

a couple of years ago my mate lowered his transporter but then wanted to raise it slightly. he used a rubber spacer a bit like a bump stop it raised it about an inch it made no difference to the handling but the transported is like a barge anyway:lol:

You're going to raise your car because the tow hook catches lol. Have you not considered changing the tow hook :p

You can use shims and you can corner weight a car on standard suspension like this. I wouldn't like to predict what effect half inch of shim all round would affect the handling though.

I want it raised anyway as it looks too low for what it is. And I can't be arsed to change the towbar cos I'd probably have to cut into the bumper. Its not standard suspension you see its on jom lowered springs and shocks.

I want it raised anyway as it looks too low for what it is. And I can't be arsed to change the towbar cos I'd probably have to cut into the bumper. Its not standard suspension you see its on jom lowered springs and shocks.

Right, got it now. Just remove the lowered springs and dampers and replace with the OEM ones.

Fraid Im with MA on this one

By definition lowered supension and tow bars are not really designed to go together

If you have a problem with humps normally this will surely be much worse if towing anything of any weight

I'm not towing anything. The car is too low as it is. Is there any way of raising it without having to change the shocks and springs?

Exactly my point

If it is hitting now and you attach anything it will be a lot worse so there is no point in making any alterations to the car now.

You need to attatch what you tow to see by how much and then adjust accordingly

And if you dont use the tow bar..........................The remedy is obvious

No!!!!!! Forget the towbar. Erase it from your memory. Pretend that since the dawn of time the concept of towing anything by anything has been alien to mankind and so towbars have never been invented.

Can I make the body sit higher without changing shocks and springs just by putting some thick washers in where the struts join the body?

How can we erase it from our memory when it is the cause of the problem after all it is hitting the humps not the car.

Tow bars and lowered suspension dont go together .

But to answre your question .You said that you need to raise it by half an inch .

Can you raise it half an inch with washers yes if the threads are long enough ......
Should you definately not -

if you dont use it take it off job done

ok
you put washers on the top of the units to raise the car.

Instead of the whole of the suspension unit bearing against the whole of the body like it is supposed (which stops flexing) to you only have the area the size of the washers (which probably wont) and half an inch of it at that.

Infact I suggest you do it since you seem determined to ignore what people ( not only me ) suggest which is take off the tow bar.

It is surely easier and safer than packing supension units out with washers

after all the suspension is hardly important is it ?

My large comment on this subject since any more would be a waste of time . If you dont want peopels opinions dont ask for them.

No, I'm not ignoring or trying to annoy anyone I just wanted to know why. Now I do know it makes sense and doesn't sound like a good idea. Sounds like the only way to raise the height is to change the actual shocks and springs to longer ones. I was just looking for a cheaper option.