Breakdown Cover

dpsubaru

The Torque Meister
Car
Subaru WRX Turbo 04
Got this idea off Waynes thread about insurance. Does anyone have breakdown cover? Have you ever had to use it, who was it and were they any good?

i used to take our AA cover every year, but only a policy where, if i broke down away from the registered address they would tow me home. Actually used them twice in the space of 8 years (once to fix my exhaust as it was piddling down with rain and needed them to jack up the car as wasnt going under it just with the silly car jack. The other to fix my alternator 400miles from my house.). First time they were crap as they stupidily only have one axle stand in the van and then they couldnt tow the ar as it was too low they had to call the special truck :rolleyes: . The other time they were great, very fast and had it all fixed.
Like to have AA cover just in case breakdown far away from home and so cant easily call up for help from friends etc...

I'm with the RAC. I've used them a couple of times and they where ok but could of been better. When I last broke down it was in a Land Rover Discovery. Phoned the RAC told them it would need trailering away as can't be towed and instead of sending a Flat bed they sent a van. He took one look and told me I needed a flat bed for recovery. It took about 5 hours to get home.

have got AA cover through the wifes insurance. hoping ill never need to use it but hey knowing my luck as soon as i cancelled it i would need it.

also kinda handy as it covers both of us doesnt matter what car were in

The best break down service in the UK is German, ADAC. German reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gophertoday View Post
May I add my voice to those interested in using Autoaid (I certainly am, as the service from AA/RAC over the last 4 years has not been good) and also requiring European cover.

The link from Autoaid's site to Eurocover gave me an expensive quotes for both a Single trip (£45) and an Annual policy (£105). They were also restrictive, covering only 1 vehicle, as was the quote from Quoteline at £59 annually. I need cover for myself and wife for UK plus at least 1 European trip per year, usually about 2 weeks.

Any ideas?
Try ADAC. They are a German company. Their ADACPartnerPlus package will cover you & your wife in any vehicle anywhere in Europe incl UK for 12 months. Includes all usual stuff I think, recovery, hotels, medical assistance etc. Its a bit of closely guarded secret amongst folk who go to the Nurburgring as they will also recover you from there (unlike nearly all the other companies who wont!!). Cost is 98.70 euros which I think is a steal.
http://www1.adac.de/mitgliedschaft_...ult.asp?ComponentID=30621&SourcePageID=193391

AA came out to me loads when I had the Rover!:lol: They were with me within the hour on every occasion except one and there was heavy snow at the time and lots of other call outs.

I also used green flag who at the time used local recovery firms but the service still worked well althought you had to pay and then claim it back from them afterwards.

I have AA cover for the W8, and they're utterly useless given the rarity of the car.

Last time I phoned up, said I know I have lost a coil pack, you won't have one as they're W8 specific, you can't tow the car on your two wheel in the air truck (Torsen AWD + Automatic) so send a low loader.

They're with me within the hour but with a guy who has come to 'fix' the car in a van. Funnily enough he diags the fault I had already diagnosed, phones for a coil, gets told it's 1-3 day lead time, reads my handbook, tells me he can't tow it and will need to call a low loader.

Low loader availability... 4-6 hours.

Suffice to say, I limped it home (15 miles) keeping below 1500rpm and decided if I trashed the cats its a good excuse to upgrade them. They survived.

My girlfriends VW Golf had 'VW Customer Assistance' included, as does the R36. Not used it on the R36 - touch wood I don't have to!

Used it on her Golf (she lost Cylinder 3 coil pack!! theme here). Guy in a VW van was with her on Sainsbury's car-park within 15 minutes (wow!) and had her on her way within 30.

Called them a second time when she put it in a ditch (now a write off) and they where there within 35 minutes, pulled it out of the ditch and took it to the accident-repair garage my mate owns some 30 miles away.

Also RE: the AA. Your f*cked if you have an accident. They call it "Breakdown Cover" and won't come if you have a smash up without charging.

The RAC on the other hand sell "Emergency Assistance" and will attend to an accident.

This is why I am swapping to the RAC.
This is why my father has already swapped!