best REALISTIC mods for a mr2 turbo

lmisbah

hi everyone

just wanted to know what is the best mod to increase bhp on a mr2 turbo, currently got 203bhp with superchip installed but wanted to hit more like the 260-300bhp region, so what would be the best realistic way to get it to those figures, please dont advise me on stupid things like 10 engines in the front etc etc lol

sorry for mistake im running 259bhp with chip sorry about the mistake was looking on autotrader and read the car i was looking at figure instead of mine lol.

Hi Lmisbah and welcome to TorqueCars. You have already chipped it and with remaps you find the most power on a turbo engine. Apexi do a good stand alone engine managment unit which will help you to more closely match your engines state of tune.

You could get a rebuild turbo with bigger internals and different turbing profile this should increase power. You should also think about doing the small things like induction kits, sports exhaust, sports cat, cams, fuel pressure boost valve etc.. these all add up in terms of power gains.

thank for the welcome and thanks for reply, sounds nice but what price am i looking at and will the apexi managment system affect economy too much? as you know the stupid petrol prices are a pure joke now, and were would i get a new turbo from can you please recommend some websites?

There is nearly always an increase demand for fuel when the power in increased. For economy you should aim to make the engine more efficient. Unless you tune it to the max you will probably see little extra loss of economy in daily driving.

Not sure on prices - you'll need to Yahoo it and see if there is a local supplier.

Try AETTurbos as your starting point for remanufactured turbos. www.aetturbosonline.com

ok, ben here, mels husband.

im now building my forth mr2 turbo project so i have some info you might like.

firstly the chip is a good thing, but only if its setup to suit your current state of tune. i tuned my last mr2 from 220bhp standard to approx 280 using some of the following:

exhaust - you need to replace the catalytic converter for a de-cat such as the ones on ebay - expect to pay between 75 and 150 quid. then you need a good 3 inch exhaust, i had a 5zigen single exit one. because all of the exit from the engine is under serious pressure 3" is the minimum you should go for, and expect it to be louder as a by-product. i prefer single exit but there are many options. the owners club reccommends mongoose exhausts - expect to pay 300 ish quid.

air intake - part one - filters - you need to remove all of the air box and put an aftermarket air filter as close to the side vent in the left side engine bay as possible. but remember that you dont want water to get into it so dont try and put it too low. any filter will do, its about personal preferrance. i dont like foam filters as they can degenerate and breakup, but thats only personal. the stainless steel ones make a great whistling sound too.

air intake - part two - removing the mass air flow sensor (the metal box beside the air filter) this can only be done when using some kind of different ecu module. it means changing the sensor to something that measures fuel mixture in the exhaust rather than the metal box. that metal box stops a lot of performance and if you do this mod expect to pay around a grand and gain about 50 bhp. only worth doing after the other stuff.

ancilleries (sorry about spelling) - removing the air con pump from the engine will take out weight and remove one of the dragging belts from the engine, improving fuel economy and increaseing power - free.

doing the above means you can remove the aircon radiator from in front of the cooling radiator which means more cool air will run through keeping your running temp down, always handy.

increasing boost pressure. the mr2 turbo is set to around 7psi as standard safety features. you can increase the boost pressure to around 13psi reasonabley safely (most people do not reccommend anything higher than a bar). in order to do this you deffinately need to fit a boost pressure gauge so you can see what you are doing. both items you can get from ebay for under 100 quid and you can fit them yourself.

that should get you started

also - you can look at adding a dump valve. there are different schools of thought on this as some people dont like the fact that they can allow an mr2 turbo run a little richer than it already does, but i like the fact that it releases pressure from the high speed turbo when you take your foot off the gas. this should prolong the life of the turbo. you can use a recirc valve which is best but if you want the pssst noise you need a blow off / dump to atmosphere / bov / dump valve. most people swwear by the hks ssq but its about 300 quid, i use a baileys dv26 which you can get for under 100 if your clever.

A lot of HA HA there speed culture. Have you been sniffing the medical Nitrous Oxide per chance? :lol:

(WARNING NEVER EVER INHALE THE AUTOMOTIVE NITROUS IT WILL LITERALLY STRIP YOUR LUNGS DUE TO THE ADDITIVES!)

yeah the lafing gas is kicking in
hehe!!!

i can only imagine a car eqiped with nitrous plus some are leaking through the cabin.... laf with speed