At Last!. I have started on my car ;-) PART 2

That's why I haven't continued the hole through the stress point at the joint between bolt and chassis.

EVERY gram counts . I hadn't thought about drilling the centres out of bolts but I am now :)

So ring donuts are healthier than the solid jam filled ones? :D

Nice work OG! If you are still worried about strength get them Cryo treated after drilling ;)

Day 53.

Well, not everythjing you want to know can be Googled.

I have been trying to find some info on what size hole you can drill down a bolt without significantly compromising its strength in shear, but have had no luck. And I thought that the whole sum of human knowledge was on the internet :smile:

Day 54

Martin has made damper bracket, apart from fitting the actual brackets :) I needed to fit the bracket to the car so I could mark the top of the tube so he can weld the brackets on vertically.

After a fair bit of fettling and grinding the bracket fits and the top found. Bracket will be off to Martin on Monday for the brackets to be fitted to the tube.

reardamperbracket1_zpsf0c35468.jpg

Day 55

Seem to have come full circle regarding tyres.

Spent last night and a bit of this morning collating all sizes and makes into a speadsheet so it was easier to compare.

Looking at tyre diameters, I am leaning back towards 225/45ZR15s (579mm tall) on 7.5" rims for the front and 245/45ZR16s (621mm tall) on 8" rims for the rear. This combo would give the car a 21mm forward rake all else being equal.

The main problem is diameter. The wider 255mm tyre is 36mm taller raising the car by 18mm. The 275 and 315mm tyres are even taller and would look out of place on such a small car, IMO.

Day 56:

Took damper bracket assembly to Martin to have damper bolt brackets welded on.

TIG welder arrived but handle that runs the length of the top was bent. Not a real problem in itself but no idea of the force involved or what damage may have been done internally so it is being picked up tomorrow.

Day 57

No work on car today (lunch with old work colleague and evening drink with car buddies in Eltham) but my Autodesk Inventor training guide arrived so I can start to design lots of great things :)

P1020374_zps612cb3e9.jpg

Day 57 update

Picked up bracket on way over to London, so tomorrow is mocking up time.

Once I have worked out min and max damper lengths I will be off so see my suspension guru to sort out the front and rear damper specs. Then it is just a matter of finding the cash for them.

reardamperbracketfinished_zpsc1b77cbe.jpg

Day 57

No work on car today (lunch with old work colleague and evening drink with car buddies in Eltham) but my Autodesk Inventor training guide arrived so I can start to design lots of great things :)

P1020374_zps612cb3e9.jpg

What did that set you back? Wouldn't mind one for the reference library as we have a couple of users here.

Day 58

A little bit of bad news today. I spent a little time working out a more accurate estimate of the car's final weight. It came out at 672kg. Allowing for 10% missed, this makes the car around 740Kg, approx 100Kg above my target weight :-(

However, there are a couple of large numbers that are estimated. I have guessed the engine (block, head, turbo, manifold, plennum, etc) to be 146Kg and the body to be 95Kg.

I have seen figures of 120Kg for the engine so I am going to weigh the spare one I am stripping in order to get a better figure. The car's weight is important as it is needed, along with the front/back split, in order to be able to spec the dampers.

I also need to work harder at weight reduction :)

Last edited:
Day 59

Working all day delivering parcels :-(

Decided on Toyo R888s. 225/45/15 and 245/45/16. Now looking for best price but will check on manufacured date as I don't want cheep but old tyres.

Started working through Inventor Essentials manual. This isn't going to be easy as my brain isn't as receptive as it used to be :)

My suspension design guru, Bob, is coming over on Monday to work out damper specs so they can be ordered.

Day 60 (already!)

Weighed spare YB engine - Engine, manifold, T4 turbo, Throttle, plennum and intake manifold came to 131Kg. Heavy but not quite as heavy as I had estimated.

Having just written this I realised I have forgotten the flywheel and clutch - bugger! That will bring it back up to my original estimated weight :-(

I will try to weigh body this weekend.

Hunting for best Toyo prices. So far best isMicheldever Tyres at £632.30 but they don't deliver. However, they are on the way to Carbon Weasel so I could combine with a trip to pick up doors.

Best price delivered - JCC Race and Rally at £686.92.

Continued to work through Inventor exercises and my brain hurts.

Last edited:
Day 61

Lowered damper fulcrum by 20mm and made pretend damper from two pieces of tube that slide inside each other so I am ready for Bob on Monday.

Spent a few hours cleanng lathe and mill as they were filthy and putting tools away as they were lying all over the place.

Day 62

Quite a productive day. Bob came over to check out rear supension setup. We decided to raise damper mounting point 25m so that damper will not foul fulcrum on full droop.

reardamperbracketmodifedandsupport3_zps2f8d4948.jpg

75mm of suspension movement is converted into 52mm of damper movement allowing a smaller unit to be used.

We also decided to add a support to the fulcrum bolt as it was acting in single shear and I was not comfortable with this.

As damper bracket is cantilevered out from its mounting bolts there is a slight risk of the bracket revolving around the bolts, so I have knocked up a support bracket to prevent this.

reardamperbracketsupport_zpsaa1f9f63.jpg

Once I have the front suspension built Bob will come over again to finalise the damper specification.

Day 63

Replacement TIG welder arrived in one piece. Need to buy Electrode for aluminium welding and suitable rods for welding alluminium and steel along with brazing rods. I also need to source a retal free Argon bottle.

Plus I need to get a sheet of steel to use as a work surface and some decent leather gauntlets.

tigwelder_zps3ce9be5f.jpg

One for you OG, modelled an LCA today, was bored :amuse:

Attachments

• LCA-MGZS-SK2 Modified Assembly.jpg
    LCA-MGZS-SK2 Modified Assembly.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 9
Day 64

Took support bracket to Martin so he could weld the two flanges together at the corner. Hopefully, this is somethings I wilbe able to do myself in a couple of weeks.

Picked up up Argon gas bottle today and ordered tungsten electrodes for aluminium along with brazing rods and filler rods for mild steel and aluminium.Just need some welding gloves and I will be ready to have a go.

Don't worry, first attempts will be posted on here :)

Day 65

Mocked up front suspension to check that damper clears new wishbones. Damper being used is an old one and bigger than the proposed unit. This one fits so the new ones will have even more room. Can't wait to get the spec finalised so they can be ordered.

dampermockupreduced_zps3127fb9b.jpg

dampermockup1reduced_zps91edcfa5.jpg

dampermockup2reduced_zps7d07f4e6.jpg

Day 66

Busy day today so no chance to do anything. However, the welding filler rods arrived.

Day 67

Another non-progress day. A combination of a lot of parcels to deliver and looking for mother-in-law's cat.

I hope to make up for it over the weekend.

Day 68

Spent an hour reducing weight of damper bracket. 60 grams removed so far.

Off to a swap meet at Arena Essex, tomorrow. Not much there for me but all my car buddies are going so it is really just an excuse to chill out and have a larf. Hopefully I will be able to do some car work when I get back.

Day 69 (my favourite number)

Spent moring at swap meet with chums. Bloody cold but good fun.

Spent afternoon finisihing off lightening of front wishbones and shortening four more nuts to hold them on with.

Started to build front suspension. Photos are from my iphone 3 so not the best:

frontwishbonesbeforefitting_zps0f2f1c8c.jpg

frontwishbonesfitted_zps25187c76.jpg

Day 70

Picked up 1000 x 800 x 10mm laser cut mild steel plate so I can convert part of my bench into a welding table.

Day 71

My Suspenson design guru (Bob) came over today to check on progress. We measured the front wheel/damper ratio which is 1:0.75 (rear is 1:0.67)

A couple of minor mods to rear damper bracket to clear damper body are required and I will do those tonight. Bob will then come over again to take final measurements so he can harden up on damper design. He may be able to eliminate the rear anti roll bar which will be good.

With a bit of luck I will be ordering the dampers by early next week :)

Last edited:
Day 72

Welding gloves arrived.

Modified damper bracket today. Once Bob has checked that everything is OK he can design spec for dampers and I can order them, hopefully early next week.

damperbrackets13-03-2013_zps2b762593.jpg

damperbrackets13-03-20133_zps381f0e4a.jpg

Day 73

No progress except arranging for Bob to come over on Friday to harden up on rear damper spec.

Day 74

Bob came over and agreed final measurements for dampers.

He thinks that he can design out the need for a rear anti-roll bar. However, a front one will be required due to the sheer weight of the Cosworth engine :-( It will be 36" long with 6" arms and made from 1" OD 1/2" ID seamless steel tubing.

As soon as Bob sends me the spec I will be off to Black Art Designs to talk to John.