At Last!. I have started on my car ;-) PART 2

Day 75

Delivering parcels for most of the day so nothing done on car, apart from confirming rear ride height to full droop measurement for Bob (40mm).

Day 76

A rare day when nothing has been done :-(

Still awaiting damper spec. Looknig forward to ordering the dampers but not the paying for them bit. They are going to hurt the pocket bigtime, but they will be right for the car so it has to be done.

Day 77

Email arrived from Bob containing damper specs!!!

For those of you that this makes any sense to:

Front dampers:
Rebound 411 lb/ft @ 140mm/sec
Bump 200 lb/ft @ 140mm/sec
HiSpeed 350 lb/ft @ 245mm/sec
Main spring 800 lb/in 4" long
Tender spring 250 lb/in 5" long
Spring preload 55mm
Installed length 174mm

Rear dampers:
Rebound 130 lb/ft @ 140mm/sec
Bump 100 lb/ft @ 140mm/sec
HiSpeed 175 @245mm/sec
Main spring 400 lb/in 5" long
Tender spring 350 lb/in 4" long
Spring preload 55mm
Installed length 174mm

I will be calling B.A.D tomorrow to arrange a meeting.

Day 78

Arranged meeting with John and Bob at Black Art Designs tomorrow.

Bob is redesigning dampers as he had a meeting with John today and Eibach don't do the springs in the sizes Bob wanted. Hopefully he will have sorted this issue by tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
Day 78 update

Checked with Bob the tube size required fo rth efornt ARB as my supplier reckoned what I wanted wasn't readily available (1" OD 1/2" ID seamless).

He told me of another change of plan as he is now hoping to do away with both ARBs!

For drag racing you want all of the front weight to be transferred to the rear. What normally happens is the body rises but the suspension droops, wasting weight. The plan is to install droop limiters so the whole weight gets transferred to the rear tyres without the body leaping into the air.

Droop limitiers sound technical, but they are simply chains or wire of adjustable length running from the suspension uprights to the wishbones, restricting their attempt to droop on acceleration.

Apparently these also work on the track and are simply removed for road use.

Bpb is well thought of within the racing fraternity (and charges quite a bit) so I am guessing he knows what he is talking about.

I will be able to tell you more tomorrow after my meeting.

Last edited:
This is the sort of setup:
DroopLimit4_zps103c5051.jpg

Apparently it works well on FWD cars as it restricts weight transfer to the rear wheels. This has confused me as we will be using it to increase weight transfer! I will be asking about this apparent dichotomy tomorrow.

Last edited:
Wow, is that newish, or am I just highly uninformed, and would you be able to keep it on for normal street driving, why would you have to remove it?

This is the first time I have heard of them, but they are fairly common on racecars.

The plan is to be able remove them for road use as you are not (shouldn't be) driving fast enough to need them.

Day 79

Spent an hour at Black Art Designs today. We agreed final design and spec and I ordered the dampers. Approx 4 weeks delivery time, but will probably be less.

Not cheap (Approx 3 times the price Gaz quoted me) but they have been designed specifically for my car down to the finest detail possible. However, the proof will be on the timeslips :)

Bob reckons he has managed to design out the need for anti-roll bars. The rear I have already made so that's a bummer (might stick it on eBay, you never know your luck), but I haven't started on the front one and their omission will remove approx 5Kg from the car. I need to look into droop limiter design this evening.

Things are starting to move forward quite nicely now. Once the suspension is built I can pop the body back on temporarily so that I can harden up on wheel size and offset and get those ordered along with tyres.

One advantage of using Toyo R888s is that Bob has done a fair amount of testing with these tyres so has quite a bit of data including coefficients of static and kinetic friction.

Last edited:
Day 80

Update on price comparison with GAZ. he GAZ quote wasn't for monotube dampers so BAD are actually less than double the price :)

Part of the difference is the spring price. GAZ springs are £20 each, Eibach are over £70.

Last edited:
Day 81

That's what I thought.

The combination of lots of parcels to deliver, walking the dog and preparing dinner meant that nothing done on car today :-(

Update! Spent a couple of hours playing on the mill and lathe. Made a couple of alluminium spacers and reduced damper bracket by 90gms and bolts by 12gms each

Reardamperbracketboltslightenedreduced_zps24d39647.jpg

reardamperbracketboltslightened1_zpsbb856848.jpg

Last edited:
Day 82

Delivering parcels today in the snow so took longer than normal.

Plan is to sit down tonight and watch some cricket and get up early to watch GP.

Then go and finish damper bracket.

Last edited:
Day 83

Another busy day so not much time for car.

Car doors should end up weighing less than 7Kg, compared to original 13.9Kg, so I decided to lighten the hinges.

Removed 50gms each so a total (2 hinges) of 100gms (0.1Kg).

2 doors = 200gms :)

Doorhingelighteningreduced_zps64d9b4d7.jpg

doorhingelightening2reduced_zps706d1e13.jpg

Last edited:
Day 84

Discussed damper dimensions with John at B.A.D so I could finish damper bracket.

Finished and painted. Just need to make spacers to fit between main body and adjustable plates so I can achieve a 46mm gap.

damperbracketpainted_zps2ef6c0d9.jpg

Spent some time thinking about droop limiter design as it has to be adjustable and flexible. Locating rear pair is easy as they can go where the original dampers were going. Just a shame that I have removed the lower fixing brackets to save weight :)

The front is a little trickier as space is limited. A bit more thought is required.

Well, sort of. Retired from full time employment but deliver parcels locally for a courier company 3 days a week to help pay the bills.

As many people say, I don't know how I found the time to do a full time job :). The reduction in spare cash is the only downside, but the parcel delivery means that we are where we were before retirement but only working 15 hours.

Day 85

Moved mother-in-law into nursing home and then out again to our place, so not much time left to play with car.

Managed a little lightening work on door hinges and spoke to Nick at Carbon Weezel. Doors are progressing and should be ready in approx 2 weeks. Looking forward to getting them so I can start on the bodywork. Need doors so I can adjust door openings to suit and align hard top before fitting it permanently. With hard top fitted I can adjust window frames to fit snugly then cut perspex windows.

Day 86

Called 999 as M-in-L in a lot of pain. Paramedics turned up and discovered that she has fractured her femur near the hip joint, something the doctor and nursing home missed! She is now in Broomfield hospital awaiting an operation. Consequently today has been somewhat hectic so no work on car.

Thanks HB. She is now in the best place. Complete rest and no need to get up for the loo. Hopefully pinned back together tomorrow and the recovery process can start.

Very sorry to hear the news OG, please pass on my regards to the young lady and I hope she makes a full recovery real soon.

Day 87

For the first time this year, 2 days without any progress :-(

Hope to make up for this over the weekend.

Sorry to hear about the mother-in-law, at that age these things are all to easy and too frequent, the wife sees it alot in her line of work. Hope she gets better soon.

Day 88

Thanks, Stamford.

She had a half hip replacemrnt today and is doing fine.

I managed to get up to the barn and spend a little time finishing off the door hinges. Not the neatest job I have done, but they can't be seen so I will live with them :)

doorhingeslightened_zps15cf4847.jpg

Day 89

Finished rear damper bracket, just need the dampers now :)

Al three alluminium spacers have been hollowed out and all bolts have had their heads reduced and centres bored.

damperbrackerfinishedreduced_zpsb1cf629f.jpg

Day 90 (seemed to have lost a day somewhere)

Finished rear damper bracket, just need the dampers now :)

Al three aluminium spacers have been hollowed out and all bolts have had their heads reduced and centres bored.

damperbrackerfinishedreduced_zpsb1cf629f.jpg

aDay 91

This counting the days certainly concentrates the mind.

Pretty good day today.

Chassis was modified to above 26R racing spec. This included stuffening plates for top damper mounts. As I am not using these now, I have removed the stiffeners, saving 500gms. However, I have left the new damper top mounting tubes as I can use these with the droop limiters.

removingreardamperstrengheningplatesreduced_zps357a65bb.jpg

removingreardamperstrengheningplates1reduced_zps63fe530d.jpg

I wrote my first CNC G-code program this afternoon. The program drilled a series of holes in the removable chassis member above the diff. Took out 105gms.

lighteningdiffcoverplatereduced_zpsa8751ea4.jpg

lighteningdiffcoverplate1reduced_zps1af84ca7.jpg

Last edited:
Day 92

Toys are fun :) and are saving me a lot of money.

Sort of progress. Spent some time clearing up the rubbish (mainly scrap car parts) between the truck body which houses the Elan body and the chassis bay. This will allow the transfer of the body without helpers tripping over.