What is your redline rev limit

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
WITHOUT LOOKING can you tell us what you think your redline is, then take a look and see how accurate you are?

Do you spend much time at or near the rev limit?

A few suprises here as I was researching this question.
Audi Q7 6.0 V12 diesel 4750 rpm - pretty high for a diesel.
Bentley Azure 'T' 6.75 V8 4500 rpm (This is a petrol engine!)
Honda S2000 I4 8800 rpm which is limited at 9000 - probably the highest revving mainstream production car this side of a rotary engine.
Lexus LFA V10 9000 rpm
F1 car engine 20,000 rpm

I wonder whether this has anything to do with the poor fuel economy? :lol: :lol: :lol:

lmao, even wen im not caning it the fuel goes alot quicker wen theres warm weather, anyone else ever had tha problem ?
have cleaned everything nw so got a run 2 do 2moz will c how it goes. hopefully it sort it self out or i am got work harder 2 pay for the fuel lol :bigsmile:

They shouldn't be especially thirsty. BMW engines are pretty efficient. I see about 32-33mpg from mine in mixed driving and I'm not one for holding people up needlessly.

My P11 Primera was about 6700rpm which is pretty high for a car without any variable valve timing technology but it never seemed distressed by being revved. It was a bit spineless low down though.

7500, but a little higher when doing 0-60 times in order to avoid changing gear.

7500, but a little higher when doing 0-60 times in order to avoid changing gear.

7500+ rpm: That is just one of the benefits from having all the rotating and reciprocating parts balanced properly.

A blueprint engine is the only way if you really are serious about performance. This is it - OG's project will be savagely quick.

the seb2 on the punto lifts the limiter to 7300, but the engine is balanced by an italian bloke holding a part in each hand to weigh them up lol. Once ive built the new bottom end 8000rpm here we come.

They shouldn't be especially thirsty. BMW engines are pretty efficient. I see about 32-33mpg from mine in mixed driving and I'm not one for holding people up needlessly.

gt 46 miles off £5 worth of fuel frm morrisons at 112.9, and its pulling alot better. a clean is wot it needed.

i dont need to check
icon12.gif
pg has the same engine as me so the redline starts at 6500rpm but iirc my limit after the map is arroud 7300-7500rpm not shure cause its been along time since i have hit it

7500+ rpm: That is just one of the benefits from having all the rotating and reciprocating parts balanced properly.

A blueprint engine is the only way if you really are serious about performance. This is it - OG's project will be savagely quick.

Well, after a great deal of time, effort and money (and more to come), I sincerely hope so :)

Plan to be out at the Pod and North Weald next season, so look out for the only black, Cosworth powered, Lotus Elan around. You won't be able to miss it amongst the Scoobies, Skylines, etc :)

Ill be making the trip down to Podington, having read about the car for so long it will be nice to see it in the flesh or fibre! :bigsmile::bigsmile:

Ill be making the trip down to Podington, having read about the car for so long it will be nice to see it in the flesh or fibre! :bigsmile::bigsmile:

Gosh, I hope you won't be too disappointed.

I think we'll all be along for this road trip to see OG's car in the flesh and it will be a great excuse to all meet up!

my mr2 mk1 has a redline of 8500.
never been anywhere near it.
manage 30mpg round town and 40 mpg on a long run.

i don't have a redline on my focus ^^

peak power is around 6500 but shiftlight is set to 6000

Before Zetec was a trim level it referred to engines.In 94-95-96 the Zetec engines were used in many UK Fords, Puma and Fiesta included. There was no red line and the rev counter went to over 7000rpm. I don't recall there being a limiter either and they did indeed rev to well over 7000rpm quite happily.

About the 5,000 mark. I do blast it occasionally, to ensure everything is working fine, but not more than once a month or so.

Before Zetec was a trim level it referred to engines.In 94-95-96 the Zetec engines were used in many UK Fords, Puma and Fiesta included. There was no red line and the rev counter went to over 7000rpm. I don't recall there being a limiter either and they did indeed rev to well over 7000rpm quite happily.

UK trim levels are just crazy , they got me all confused. in the rest of europe we don't have zetec , titanium and many others i can't remember right now. In fact i think that the only trim level available is the ghia.

before i turboed the 2.0 duratec peak power was at 7000 rpm. Also the car's original engine was a 1.6 zetec which was happy revving up to 7000 rpm as well although the peak power was lower , at about 6000 rpm i think

i also had a 1.8 vw carb engine in the renault that i revved up 8000 and it could have gone beyond but after i did that a few times the bearings on the crankshaft failed. I've never seen so much scrap metal in the sump in my entire life...

The red-lines and the rev limiters are both set by the factory to ensure that the engines are not taken anywhere near the point of destruction.

If your car has a 6500rpm red line then we can assume that 6500rpm is a sensible point to change up when you really need every last ounce of torque.

You won't damage your car by using 'all the revs'.

One of the worst things you can do is to hug the sub-2000rpm band. Hanging onto high gears is a bad thing.

not going to miss the passat then ?

The only thing I will miss is the DSG gearbox. It was fantastic, and its a real shame it wasn't available in the RS4, or I would have stuck with it. You can really eek out every last horse-power with a DSG that just isn't possible with a manual box.

That said, the RS4's engine note, performance and handling make up for it - so I won't be loosing any sleep.

.. and regarding that engine note. I've already taken off the vacuum pipes from the exhaust valves and plugged them up - and hammered the valves permanently open :twisted: