water injection

jnrchin

Car
rb 20 det
when doing a homemade water injection system is it possible to use normal fuel injectors to spray the water?

Does the water have to go in under great pressure or can it just be mixed as a fine spray downstream of the MAF? If so you'll possibly get away with little more than an aerosol can nozzle fed by a screen washer pump

Does the water have to go in under great pressure or can it just be mixed as a fine spray downstream of the MAF? If so you'll possibly get away with little more than an aerosol can nozzle fed by a screen washer pump

Thats the way i'd do it too. The pipe for the screen wash pump will be just the right size to shoot a jet of water. Or it may even fit the aerosol can nozzle. That is actually a great cost effective idea there Hdi nice one...

I think I read on here that there are benefits to spraying upstream of the air intake/turbo so pressure is not an issue.

so a sum up of what your saying is that i am supposed to be able to use a plastic spray nozzle off a spray tin. wrong or right? ok using that could be a good idea but how will i secure its penetration through the intake pipe or hose so that it doesnt leak? and i guess i would have to put a mesh filter further up stream incase the pressure blows off the nozzle.

another query are there any smart ideas like this one as to how would i regulate the spraying at different levels of boost. and how would i stop it from dripping after the pump stops without the solonoid on the injector. If this drips the car is going to bug down.

Get yourself a proper kit. These have a controller unit and proper injectors. You don't wan the injector nozzle coming off and getting sucked into the engine. You can make your own injector with a small piece of metal tubing and a weld/solder on the end. Make 1 very very fine hole in it and you should have a good jet then providing the water pump pressure is up to it.

Make your own kit. Dont just use any old nozzle because your whole system will be made pretty much pointless. You need a nozzle from the like of spraying systems (http://www.spray.com/) and a high pressure pump. You cant just use an old washer motor either, as you wont get any atomisation plus the flow rate is dictated by the pressure.

I have heard of the piston type pumps from coffee machines being used, as they can maintain low flow rates and high pressure, as well as flowing plenty for water injection and being cheap!

You can place it just before the air filter or just before the throttle body, either location is fine really, placing it by the air filter allows the engines need for air to control the uptake of mist by itself. Or you can use the kit hooked up to a boost pressure sensor, or how about a thottle mico switch under the pedal? (after all, most det happens at low revs/high load situations)

Do you have a mappable ecu to be able to take advantage of water injection?

where I can find a water alcohol injection system which vary the amount of water injected into the cylinders as a function of the rpm and has a injector for each cylinder?