Tuning mitsubishi GTO / 3000gt

thefeet

Wrench Pro
Car
bmw
Hi all i have my eyes set on either a GTO or 3000gt the ( 3 litre twin turbo V6 )

As far as i know theres not much diffrences in terms of engine power or that i do know that the 3000gt is basically a british GTO.

Anyways from what ive read these things come with around 280 bhp. Im looking for around 500+. Why ? It will be used for quater mile runs aswell as track days.

I do know i will need to upgrade brakes, suspension, clutch,gearbox ? but im looking for engine power just now.

Can anyone help me on what id need to get around this amount of power?

Welcome to the forum mate. I've moved this thread into the relavant section. First of all it would be very silly to increase just the power alone. You are basically asking for an accident. Suspension and brakes should always come first.

For that kind of power you'll have to look into boost mate.

thanks sorry i wasnt sure where it went hehe

I recenlty started another thread about a track only car as thats what im after.

If you could help me out on the power as i do like the mitsu FTO aswell but with the GTO having a 3.0L twin turbo - you cant go wrong eah ?

Have you also looked at the Supra if you want a drag racer?

The FTO will just not give any powergains. I've seen heavily tuned FTO's to 250bhp but that seems to be about the limit. An older evo engine will drop in but you are probably looking at spending about £1000 on this.

There are some weak spots on the GTO, mainly where servicing has been neglected. Have a read of our other threads in this forum to see what issues there are.

what about turbo / supercharged FTO?

Is it only the early evo engines that will fit in ? or can any?

or do you think botht eh gto and fto are not what im after?

Under the bonnet of a GTO with something in the region of power you are talking about.
If you realistically want 500 bhp, i hope you have a good reserve of cash for the investment, it doesn't come cheap, even if you can do it yourself it will be several £K.

filters.jpg

engine1-1.jpg

So after looking about the internet i managed to find http://www.euro-spec2000.co.uk/Our-Cars/.

Im sure alot of you will have seen this but 956 bhp and 10.3 quater mile - that think car move!

So does that mean if i was to do the mods they have listed i should have around 900 bhp? I know the clutch, brakes, suspension, gearbox, will have to all be replaced aswell but as far as the power side goes what should i do?

I was only looking for around 500 bhp but 900 would also be nice :)

The higher you go the more stressed the engine is. 900 bhp is fine for short drag runs but in an everyday car I'd feel a lot happier with 500bhp and find this more usable.

hi chaps just keep getting conflicting stories on tuning the gto i have heard its best not to go over three fifty bhp the engine being a v engine it takes LOTS OF DOUGH could any body tell me the easy was to get towards 500 bhp an intrested new boy

You are a new boy if you think there's an "easy" way. Closest "easy" way is handing your car and a blank cheque to a tuning company.

sutle as every ehh MA ;)
as said it does take alot of money to do it yourself im sure country bumkin will be along in the near future to give you an idea of what is required and how much if you were to do most of it yourself