The Astra Track Day Car

Okay, so I still have my Mk4 Astra lying around and decided at the weekend that I'd love to try a few track days with it. It doesn't have to be road legal as I will be putting it on a trailer.

It only has a 1.6 engine but I'm not after serious performance just yet, just a bit of good fun. I'll probably strip it out to make it lighter and seem a bit more serious and exciting to the driver.

Maybe in time I'll probably carry out a few modifications, might start with simple power gains. And maybe move onto improved suspension for a better feel.

It's all about the experience with this car, I won't be racing anyone so the more fun I can have, the better.

If anyone has any ideas for it to improve the experience or has any experience in track days and where to start it would be very helpful. Thankyou.

001.jpg

Well Jake, take everything out of the interior that you can to lighten the load. Only do to the car engine wise what you can comfortably afford to do, bearing in-mind that the car will be used infrequently. Remember that track days are very expensive, factor in, fuel, tyres, some essential spares, crash helmet, video camera (nice but not essential) a possible overnight stay, the list just keeps growing and growing! I do hope that you can make this happen Jake and I for one wish you the very best of luck with it! You will NOT be disappointed buddy ;):bigsmile:

Ahh yeah, I'd considered that stuff already. My GF's cousin is buying half of the car off me and we're splitting everything 50/50 which should save on costs. We're towing it with his truck so we can just chuck everything like tools, jump leads, air compressor, and things in the back. Just a few hours after we discussed all this topgear was aired :D (with them racing cars)

I don't think i'll be going too hard on the brakes. Like I said it'll be more for fun. I'm not racing so there's no reason to be too hard on the brakes.

I can't afford to spend too much on it straight away. (especially with the focus going through difficult times) Stuck on minimum wage at the moment. I know, my A-levels in maths and physics are wasted :p Any jobs going people????

I don't think i'll be going too hard on the brakes. Like I said it'll be more for fun. I'm not racing so there's no reason to be too hard on the brakes.

I see, well there is no racing allowed on a track day and the marshal's take a very dim view of this if it is spotted while your on track! Once your tanking along and reach a bend unexpectedly you will be surprised at how much your brakes are used and with what ferocity you have to apply them.

You don't necessarily have to upgrade the brakes but some fresh OEM disks,pads and fluid would be a good idea. ;)

A very good idea and one that is echoed from other users that I have seen on track! :)

Thanks for the advice TN and T9. I'll discuss when we get round to getting the car ready. Oil and filter change is the first thing.

Okay so the stripping has started. Seatbelt bolts are a nightmare to get out and one rounded off so i cant get it out. Stupid torx bolt. Any ideas how to get it off. I want to be able to put all bolts back into the body to plug the holes and stopping them rusting. I thought about welding a normal bolt on but i dont have a welder of any kind.

I think the bolt is too tight for mole grips. It is a silly torx bolt so the outside is round. I will try tomorrow anyway.

Try squirting some WD40 at it then give it a couple of light taps with a hammer then squirt a bit more on it then leave it until the morning. There is a proper releasing agent that comes in a can that could help you, have a look in Halfrauds!

^^^ Indeed another good idea, then try using an impact driver which you can wallop with a hammer, cheap enough to buy from Halfrauds if you've not got one in the garage.

I'm stripping out the interior but at the moment I don't intend to put in new seats. The ones in are much better than the ones in the cheaper trims. Been looking at some exhaust systems and coilover kits. But as this is a joint project i'll have to get my project partner to agree and chip in aswell.

I saw this and want it so much.
$(KGrHqV,!icE7BK7lU(HBP!zJksVWw~~60_12.JPG

Buckets will make a huge difference over a factory seat. Once you drive in one you'll know why.

I wouldn't bother with the exhaust yet. Brakes and suspension come first imo as these will not only make things more fun, but possibly save your life.

I agree. I want to do the brakes first. The good thing is I can split the costs, but need to get my project partner to agree to everything first. Looking at grooved disks (do you think grooved and drilled?) and so matching pads. Maybe EBC or black diamond.

I agree. I want to do the brakes first. The good thing is I can split the costs, but need to get my project partner to agree to everything first. Looking at grooved disks (do you think grooved and drilled?) and so matching pads. Maybe EBC or black diamond.

Drilled are more for looks (and look great) but grooved definitely. EBC discs are bit hit and miss from what I've heard.

I've heard they fracture between the holes so unless they serve a practical purpose I'll just get grooved. I'm looking at apex coilovers. Anybody have an opinion on these?

EBC discs are fine, most of the pad compounds are absolutely cack. Go for DS2500, Pagid RS14's, Performance Friction....Really good brake fluid and brake cooling is important unless you want to be getting new discs or skimming after every track day and/or pulling in after every lap or two to let your brakes cool because neither is very fun. And that's if you notice them fading and don't end up going straight off track one corner.

I've heard they fracture between the holes so unless they serve a practical purpose I'll just get grooved. I'm looking at apex coilovers. Anybody have an opinion on these?

Apex are quite good. I have dealt with them for years and never had any problems with them.

Cross drilled are okay when they are designed for it as some Brembos are. Grooved/slotted discs are much better. Don't go for too many grooves. 3, 4 or 6 are more than adequate.

I managed to get the bolt off eventually, though it did involve a grinder :p I'll upload photos of the progress sometime this week.

Just booked my first track day too. Blyton park on 9th April. :D :D :D
Can't bleeding wait.

69418665.jpg

69418725.jpg

69418785.jpg

69418826.jpg

69418866.jpg

69555122.jpg

Marvellous news Jake, I hope you have grand day out on the track. Your car is looking so light with all that excess stacked up that you might have to add some weight just to keep it on the ground. :lol:

I know, You wouldn't beleive how much stuff there is in a car. And this one is 13 years old. Imagine what goes into a new one!

Okay, so I quick update. I did some research on the engine which I though was just a 1.6 eco-heap but it turns out it's a little gem.

Lotus initially developed the engine and it produced 150bhp. Vauxhall couldn't put it in like this as it competed with the 1.8 and even the 2.0. They restricted it to 106bhp mainly by fitting a complicated inlet manifold which kept torque almost untouched. The engine was further restricted when it was put into the Astra and Vectra to 99bhp be with a slight increase in torque (for the extra weight)

So by fitting a performance inlet manifold and a remap should release 20 - 30 bhp improve engine response but also compliment other modifications. It does this by reducing the intake length by 1 & 1/2 feet and getting rid of 2 90 degree bends, and a full loop round in the complicated intake manifold. I have to make up an extension bracket for the throttle body or else it would hit the brake fluid reservoir.

The bracket is still being manufactured but should get it by early next weed so i'm going to be very busy when i get it fitting the new inlet, extending coolant hoses and wires, moving and intake temperature sensor and fitting a different fuel rail. I'll also need to get a new fuel pressure regulator if the existing one doesn't fit. (which i don't think it does) I've got to use a new fuel rail as the lower inlet is now off a Corsa 1.6 GSi so the fitting is slightly different.

However, yesterday I figured out I could remove all of the runners from the old inlet manifold which will still reduce the length of the intake by a foot and rid of the full loop round, but it'll also mean I won't have to bother extending or replacing anything. So I'm stuck between fitting the better but more complicated custom manifold, or sticking with the original, but much easier to fit, manifold.

I'm still unsure of what to go for in terms of coilovers, and don't know whether to go for all sorts of different bits for the exhaust (as i can't find a full kit including decat) or just have a custom one made up.

I have removed a few more bits and pieces from the interior but nothing major.

I'll try to keep you updated as things progress :)

That sounds good. Does the manifold from the 1.8/2.0 fit? Could make things easier. If it was me I'd fit a BBTB whilst everything is out as well.

Correct. ;) Plans good to me buddy! I cannot believe the crap that come out of that vehicle! That spare tire must have weighed a lot! Like every one else has stated... Brakes and suspension are the most important things to consider when driving competativly.

I think the spare wheel was the second heaviest think I removed, after the rear seat back rest. Fortunately the standard suspension is quite good and the chassis is great (also helped in designed by lotus) The brakes withstood everything I chucked at them. I don't tend to stay out for more than 10 minutes and always include a cool down lap. The last track day was wet though so I'm not sure how this will change when its dry.

So had my head under the bonnet all day. Its not quite as difficult as i thought it was going to be. Its not yet finished but ill be back on it tomorrow. I did a test assembly just to check everything had a place and it all fits, which it seemed to. So started to do the final assembly. Some was done off the car ready to go in and i had put the new injection system together and put on the new lower manifold.All seems to be going okay so far. A few pipes getting in the way but a gentle push and reorganization is all that was needed. Ill hopefully finish it soon. Ill take pictures when its done.

Great work! The engine work sounds really interesting, should fly once it's all done.

I had a thought on the weight saving front, are you planning to fit a roll cage? because if you are you'll be able to lose some more weight by removing the side impact side bars from the doors, assuming of course you fit a cage with side bars. :)