The Astra Track Day Car

Okay, so I still have my Mk4 Astra lying around and decided at the weekend that I'd love to try a few track days with it. It doesn't have to be road legal as I will be putting it on a trailer.

It only has a 1.6 engine but I'm not after serious performance just yet, just a bit of good fun. I'll probably strip it out to make it lighter and seem a bit more serious and exciting to the driver.

Maybe in time I'll probably carry out a few modifications, might start with simple power gains. And maybe move onto improved suspension for a better feel.

It's all about the experience with this car, I won't be racing anyone so the more fun I can have, the better.

If anyone has any ideas for it to improve the experience or has any experience in track days and where to start it would be very helpful. Thankyou.

001.jpg

Standard 308mm calipers . I can't imagine it weakening it significantly.

But may just go for grooved discs and sticky pads for my currents disc size for now.

Most places have them on offer at the moment until the end of the month. But DC performance have 30% off instead of 25%. Their customer service is great and he going to try and get me a deal on poly bushes.

Most places have them on offer at the moment until the end of the month. But DC performance have 30% off instead of 25%. Their customer service is great and he going to try and get me a deal on poly bushes.

I'll vouch for DC Performance. Excellent customer service. I won't vouch for Spax coilovers though, even after having them on my Civic.

What else have they got?

Checking out the site now... Terrible spelling and punctuation though! I know, mine isn't very good either...

•Coilovers have ON CAR adjustable bump and rebound damping but simply twisting the adjuster
•gas pressurise dampers for superior comfort and fanstastic performance

Other then that... Prices seem good.

Why were you not won over by them?

They're not stiff enough for a track car for starters. You will have to buy top mounts as well to gain full adjustability so the price is mis-leading.

If you can't/don't want to spend the earth then go for Gaz coilovers. They can tailor them to your specific needs as well (and let's be honest you won't mess around with them too much once they're sorted).

Gaz coilovers are only £20 more. It's a competition now. How would I go about getting them tailor made, what information do i need to give them?

Look at council garages, rent is pennies estate agents sometimes have garages on their books. Also keep on eye on local shop windows for, garages for rent or even put an ad in yourself, there's bound to be an old lady who could do with a little bit of extra income. :)

Last edited:
That's not such a bad idea. There are some ex council garages around the back of my house. Would be worth finding out if they're still renting or just finishing off a lease before they build some apartments there or something. Only worry is it's a bit of a hotspot for troublesome teens skiving school.

Shame about your track car Jake. If the garage rent falls through, don't you have anywhere else? Any friends that share the same love of cars?

Very said indeed, but it needed doing. I want to get my own place so I really won't have the cash to use it anymore.
Got a bit drunk yesterday so you can I sprayed the bonnet black and i'd never stood ontop of a car before so I gave that try. My friends also sprayed something rude on it while I wasn't looking and then followed it up by smashing a window. Hahah
So yeah, sad to see it go (it was my first car so carries alot of sentimental value) but had a lot of fun with it and some great memories :)