someone help me please

ramsweed

Car
saab 900 turbo
my saab 900 turbo is eating oil and ive got smoke but the smoke is only when im slowing down or going slow going from 0 to 100 is quick and i dont get any smoke

thank for help:confused:

hello thanks for getting back to me so quick
im using 10 40 oil and the smoke is white gray colour
when im doing 45 50 {steady}it smokes untill i take it out of gear
this is my first turbo so im watching it like a hawk

thanks ramsweed

white normally indicates coolant.

whats the level like in the expansion tank ? also remove the oil cap and look underneath it see if there is any mayo on it.
does the turbo still boost fine ?

White suggests coolant but then the oil level is dropping, which is confusing.

Smoke on overrun can indicate turbo bearings and seals starting to fail. I suggest you check all levels repeatedly and thoroughly to look for changes.

Water can enter the oil system if the HG is failing. Clearly you don't want water going through the turbo, it's not especially good as a lubricant.

Before we get too carried away, it's worth considering the PCV (Crank ventilation valve).

If this is clogged or stuck you will get high pressures in the lower part of the engine which can force oil into places it should not be (such as the cooling system, which generally will be at higher pressure than the oil system when the engine is at running temperature).

coolant level goes down very slow the car feels like ripping white lines off the road no mayo under oil cap
cheers for your info will be on it tomrrow

coolant level goes down very slow the car feels like ripping white lines off the road no mayo under oil cap
cheers for your info will be on it tomrrow

If it feels that it's trying to tear away strips of road surface then there's nothing much wrong in my opinion.

Turbocharged petrol Saabs have always been a bit brutal in their power delivery, which can turn from benign to brutal in less than 1/2 a second.

Saab's approach to turbocharging petrol engines in the 900 series was very much a technical exercise, exploring just how much torque they could shove through the front wheels before anyone got too offended.

I doubt there's too much wrong with the car if it feels like the engine is trying to tear itself free of its mountings.

likey to be the turbo oil seals / bearings
have changed so many turbos on saabs due to leaking seals or stop working were the oil ways block
and one think to do on all turbos always keep the oil fresh every 5000-7000 miles

and if you do change the turbo or bearings take all the oil lines off and give them a good clean

likey to be the turbo oil seals / bearings
have changed so many turbos on saabs due to leaking seals or stop working were the oil ways block
and one think to do on all turbos always keep the oil fresh every 5000-7000 miles

and if you do change the turbo or bearings take all the oil lines off and give them a good clean

It does seem that turbochargers put an almost unhealthy strain on the rest of an engine. Even if the engine has been designed from the ground up to be force fed air.

Is this perhaps why you have a liking for large and low stressed engines?

I'm starting to think along similar lines to the old American adage that there 'be substchoot for cubes'.

well when you are driving along say at 70 and you look at the revs and its not even 2000rpm (on a v8)
then you look at a 4 pot engine and its siting at 2500-3000 rpm witch engine is going to last the longest

i do love a nice big v8 due to it never has to work and for that they give better mpg then you first think

well when you are driving along say at 70 and you look at the revs and its not even 2000rpm (on a v8)
then you look at a 4 pot engine and its siting at 2500-3000 rpm witch engine is going to last the longest

i do love a nice big v8 due to it never has to work and for that they give better mpg then you first think

My 406 was high geared - 5th gear at 70mph was under 2100rpm. And it would surge fowards if you accelerated. But there's no wasy it would be able to do this were it not for significant amounts of turbo boost.

Conversely my Dad's rather pathetic 4 pot, 8 valve single cam Astra (1.6) Astra sits at over 3500rpm at 70mph.

I'm really trying to justify to myself going for a V8 over anything smaller so, please humour me ;)

sound of a v8 unless then you go lexus
and more then anything the bragging rights to say you have a v8 under the bonnet
get the lexus ls400 or 430 you know you need it
the gs300 is only a stright 6 i dont know about the 330 but would say that was only a six as well