Sideways pulling when accelerating.

wizzer

Road Burner
Car
VW Golf 2.0 TDi
I was in me dads car today in the wet. it is an Astra 1.6. Wen I pulled away quickly the car just pulled to the left before going forward. It was like someone was pushing hte car fr the side. Then when the car was moving I put my foot down and it pulled to the left again.

Is there a problem with his car? Have I broken anything? Shall I tell him.

ok mate i wouldnt worry get it taken to a garage and get the tracking checked.
if you get another go let go of the wheel when moving on a level road and watch the wheel move around.changes are its hit a pothole or kerb, even mounting a kerb can throw it off. it should cost around £25 for a laser alignment tracking.

check the tyres as this will show if its been off for a while the left hand one will have more wear on the inside

I was asking because it has happened to me a couple of time when pulling away, but it only happened off the line. Do you think the tracking may be off?

of the mark you may get a little but when the cars moving you shouldnt really notice it.

best way ive found of testing was find a stright level ( as little camber as possible ) and quiet road. sit in the middle and hold a steady speed an let go of the wheel. if it goes of to the left or right then it might be off.

always a good idea to get it checked out now and again as itll save heavy wear on the inside of the tyres

The most common cause of this is a sticking brake caliper. Easily identifiable due to the wheel/hub assembly being hotter than the other side after a short drive, or just jack the side of the car safely and spin the wheel. If the caliper is sticking it will create a resistence to free movement.

And yes, tell your father, he needs to know so he can get it looked at. Unless you have kerbed the car and damaged a suspension component, i doubt very much if it is your fault.

Last edited:
You say the road was wet. Were you doing a wheelspin? If this was the case then it probably is Torque Steer but could indicate another problem. If you were not wheelspinning it does sound like a problem. I have known Torque Steer in a 1.4 in the wet - in the dry you need 150+BHP.

The tire is pretty worn on the side it pulled towards prob 2mm depth wheras teh other side is almost new. Yes I was wheelspinning. I've checked the tread and it looks pretty even across the wheel. I jacked up the car and spun the wheels by hand and it seems to be free wheeling on both sides.

That sounds like you've got your answer. Wheelspin in a FWD car will give directional control problems.

You should drive mine mate, it'll break traction in third if the roads at all damp.