Poor engine performance

Stiggy

Torque Junkie
Car
Audi A3 Quattro
hey guys its been a while since i last came on here but i was wondering if i could have your assistance again

my astra has got poor performance on acceleration and also feels like its missfireing, but only realy when its cold, when the engine is up to temp the missfiring practicly stops but iv still got the lack of performance issue

now iv checked the plugs, ignition pack, EGR valve, air mass sensor, cleaned the throttle body and flushed the fuel system and still the same thing

would a blown head gasket be the cause ? theirs no sign of the coolant leaking into the oil nore smoke coming out the exhaust so im wondering could the head gasket be blown between two cylinders?

does this all sound like a possibility ?

my prelude had the same problem, mechanic diagnosed it as a cracked HG.
issues were similar misfiring when cold, 1ltr corsa kept up with me no problem. but once it warmed up it was fine.
i did the same new coil, sparks and leads, no EGR valve as such so much was just bleed off from the manifold by the intake vacuum.
did find that it ran very very slightly better with no intake or filter on it, just air going straight into the carbs.

never got to the end of it as put it off the road as was going to cause so much to fix

Hi again Stiggy and welcome back, we've missed you.

It sounds like you've done all of the obvious stuff. Is it mainly used for short journeys?

hi waynne, thanks for the warm welcome back

yea im just using it right now to go to and from the better halfs house, but even still its driving me up the wall, i need to get it sorted just in case i need to tavel with work

iv ordered a compression tester so when that comes i can test to see if it is the head thats gone, in all honesty though i do just want to get rid of the car now, had nothing but problems from it this past 12 months, variouse sensors packing up, 2nd gear blew up on me, thermostat packed up, and now this :\

asuming it is the head thats gone, id be probably looking at a ford mondeo 2.0TD, has anyone heared any grim storys about these ? it would be the angular newer shape on a Y or 51 plate probably

keep the feed back coming though please about what else i could check on my astra

hey guys here's an update on the situation

iv done a few tests now and i have identifyed the problem now, the bore and the piston rings on the No. 4 cylinder is shot so thats that, time to get rid of the astra, im gonna miss her dearly but she needs to go

Its a shame but at least you know. Good luck with finding your next car. And selling this one;)

make sure the engines nice an hot when you take it in,

the wife got a grand for her rover 25 if they had taken tyhe oil cap of they would ave noticed the HG had gone there was more mayo in there than oil