Police chief appealing speeding conviction

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I read at the weekend about a police chief who was appealing against a speeding conviction on the basis that the radar speed detectors are innacurate!

Does this smack of double standards? Does anyone have more information on this scandalous story!

I read at the weekend about a police chief who was appealing against a speeding conviction on the basis that the radar speed detectors are innacurate!

Does this smack of double standards? Does anyone have more information on this scandalous story!

If he believes the equipment to be inaccurate and therefore the conviction unfair he absolutely should appeal.

That would set a precedent for everyone else who has been wrongly penalised on account of evidence gathered by equipment which is perhaps not accurate enough for the purpose it's used.

Home Office type approval is not infallible.

Was he actually convicted by court, judge, and jury? Was it a fixed penalty or was it dealt with in a magistrates court?

Where do I find details?

Aidy mcgeady (formor celtic) the footballer got away with the same thing doing 58 or something in a 30 zone. is it true that a policeman cant give you points or even give u a on the spot fine for speeding if he is on his own.

Aidy mcgeady (formor celtic) the footballer got away with the same thing doing 58 or something in a 30 zone. is it true that a policeman cant give you points or even give u a on the spot fine for speeding if he is on his own.

No, it's not true. They have to be careful with the admissibility of evidence though. If you are given a FPN by a sole policeman then it's much easier to contest in court.

Last edited:
It's not gone to court yet, I just read a snippet in the weekend paper, I think it was the Times! There is nothing online at the moment, I guess it will get more coverage when it hits the courts.

Scottish and English law do conflict at times. At the moment I am not aware of any significant differences in the Road Traffic Act, But that's not to say there aren't any.

@ Waynne - I had a read online and the snippet I found about the case mde no reference to radar equipment but instead to the fact that the speed limit signs were incorrectly lit.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

It's a female from Nottinghamshire.

The reading was 79mph in a 50mph zone.

Provided it was calibrated recently, then it won't be that inaccurate.

I thought is was on the A55 North Wales Expressway where the limit is 70 and a temporary 50 was in place. The North Wales Police (Heddlu) refuse to enforce the 50 because the signs weren't properly lit. The offending Police driver was using a constabulary VW Golf, he was taking a prisoner (by which I assume he means someone he's arrested) to Llandudno) Police station.

Allegedly he was driving at 98mph.

My first thought is that he's not very popular with his workmates.