Oil additives

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
There are many on the market from gasket seal conditioners, to PTFE based friction reducers to the service items like flush additives. There is even one that makes the oil bond to the surfaces instead of running off but it also retains the slipperyness of oil!

Do you use any - what brands do you like? Is there a darker side to any of these additives? Would you use these as a preventative or only as a last ditch attempt at a cure?

I'm asking this because I've heard some alarming things about additives and just wondered if they are rumours or based in fact! :wink:

I'd leave well alone, although some of the flush and drain compounds are good for cleaning out the crap in an engine. Diesels deposit soot particles here and there especially. Modern petrol engines run very very cleanly indeed.

Don't drive the engine or load it up when they're in though. Drain and refill as instructed.

For me the best thing to do is use high quality oils and stick with the same oil for topping up if your car needs this. This is very important with full synthetics.

Fuel additives are a different arsenal of beasts. Particularly Miller's and Forte's brands. Injector cleaners and the like really can help as part of a 'controlled diet'. So, avoid crap fuel, stick with the big boys, BP, Shell etc.