Oil additives

HDi fun

TC ModFather
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
Has anyone of us ever tried using one of the many oil additives available to the aftermarket consumer? I'm asking specifically about oil additives, not fuel additives.

If so, what results did you get?

What results did you expect?

Would you use the same or another additive again (ever)?

Please take a look at this site for some truly sensational claims:

http://www.synlube.com/

Would you?

I wouldn't. Personally, I'd rather have my nipples shaved off with a cheese-grater.

I used Morays in an engine that was burning oil and it worked well. It was wierd stuff and seemed to make the oil "sticky" in that it bonded to metal surfaces. It cut down some valve rattle as well. Thats about the only oil additive I have used. Apparently the stop leak rubber seal rejuvinator is quite good also.;)

Bonded is the wrong word. But the oil would take a while to run off the metal areas with the morays in.

Cheers Waynne - will remember this if i am selling something with a noisy engine. Frankly though if the engine is running fine i wouldnt want to stick anything into the oil, dont have the balls for experimenting either as really dont want to have to rebuild the engine.

My dad swears by Slick50 & for many years has used it in all his cars.

Personally I believe, if you fork out for quality oil it will already have all the right stuff in it, so why possibly cock up that mix by adding more to it?

..............Personally I believe, if you fork out for quality oil it will already have all the right stuff in it, so why possibly cock up that mix by adding more to it?

I'll go with that. Well said.