New shiny exhaust

jarrus

Pro Tuner
Car
Suzuki Swift Sport
Hi to all,

I haven't made a thread in a while so I thought why not...

My exhaust it fecked so I want to get a replaced with a nice performance jobby,
I've shopped around and I have found that a custom system is the best value for money, I can have one made turbo back (my car doesn't need a cat to pass an MOT) for less than £400 and off the shelf system actually costs more (Yes, they do mass produce aftermarket systems for my crummy old diesel)

but I'm stuck on something,

Should I go resonated or non-resonated?
I have done some other research on the subject and what I have found out is that on diesels non resonated is the best to go for because diesels are generally quiet on the exhaust side of things even without an exhaust so if i go resonated it might be too quiet (I do like a bit of engine noise)

but.................................
I wanted a 2nd opinion, I know petrols are very loud with out a centre silencer, but I'm not sure about diesels,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkrG_zjz_B8

thats an astra diesel with an non resonated system and it doesn't seem massively loud, probably just the right about of noise for me, it barks but doesn't give me a headache on long journeys,

you thought please if you will....

they will be much appreciated

Thanks

Brett

Indeed Sir, I had my decated by them, and they did a nice job, but i did find it funny that I have a cheapo standard exhaust on my car at the moment and in the middle of it theres a piece of high quality SS pipe It is rather amusing...

Have you used them? MA

Could you just take off your silencer at the moment and see how loud it is. I think you'll be surprised, just like petrol engines diesels can sound very different from each other.

Well, for a time a a couple of years ago, I had no rear silencer cause it dropped off one the motorway on the way to work, it certainly sounded nicer, sounded gruffer low down but when you gave it the beans it sounded the same, but like i said that was the rear silencer though, not sure about the middle one, I do know on my car the rear one is substantially bigger that the middle one, so you reckon if i took the middle one out that would sound different again?

by the way I'm also getting an SS system for extra flow not just some more sound so just cutting silencers out as a permanent solution isn't an option, plus parts of the pipe are rusty so best just to replace rather than repair

No offence to anyone but MIJ use powerflow just like other places which are cheaper than MIJ my powerflow was from kingswinford tyres and exhaust got mine for 200 quid catback on an estate had a quote off MIJ for the same nearly 500 quid its alot more money for the same product at kingswinford so why pay more its your money though.

Well mate, I wouldn't know, and they didn't quote me 500 quid,
But, there is a powerflow place in stafford, I might give them a call see what's what...

Last edited:
Just searched the dealer list on the powerflow website, and MIJ isn't a powerflow dealer, and to be fair I have heard plenty of good things about MIJ and I'm a returning customer to them and I have had not issues with them...

Well mate, I wouldn't know, and they didn't quote me 500 quid,
But, there is a powerflow place in stafford, I might give them a call see what's what...
wouldnt kingswindford be closer??? cause i to have had a few powerflow systems from there and the only issue i ever had with them was they never plugged my lamba sensors back in on my leon
they are cheap 2 my turbo back system was only £300 and it took them about 2-3hrs

Haven't used them but I hear nothing but good things. That's where I'd go for a properly designed and built system if I didn't have someone already. How can they "use" Powerflow? The exhausts are custom built from a selection of parts no? It's how well they put them together and how well they flow that counts.

and yes you are right, it's closer to me, by nearly 4 miles
i'll send an e-mail to both of them and see how much it is,

one thing that conserns me with these custom exhausts...
I want an oval tip and i notice that the tip is oval and it goes into a round, fine, but it looks quite small and I want a 2.5" system, seems daft really to make a performance system with a restriction in it like that

Haven't used them but I hear nothing but good things. That's where I'd go for a properly designed and built system if I didn't have someone already. How can they "use" Powerflow? The exhausts are custom built from a selection of parts no? It's how well they put them together and how well they flow that counts.

couldn't agree with you more,

they aren't an authorised powerflow dealer, so probably use different parts

I had mine from Unique exhausts in Stafford it's owned & run by one bloke, I found him very knowledgeable & straight talking. He did a cracking job on my car & the cost at the end was very reasonable too.

A bloke called phil by any chance?
It would seem to me that he doesn't know what non resonated means though, I sent them an e-mail and he replied "do you mean you don't want any boxes? if so then I can do it for £160" which is a great price but not what i want, I did send him an e-mail back explaining in more detail of what I wanted, so hopefully he can quote me for what I want

kingswindford quoted £350 for what i wanted, so is cheaper than MIJ, if mij's quote includes the VAT then I might just go for theres, if not then I think I will give powerflow a go, but I also need to know about there tips, like i said in a previous post some of the tips go really narrow where they join the rear silencer and this negates the bigger bore of the rest of the system,

I think i need to talk over the phone to each of them and see what they can say

my mongoose goes narrower than 2.5inch where it meets the tip from the backbox. I really dont think it makes the slightest difference as its so close to the end of the exhaust where the pressure is lowest anyway. I wouldnt worry about it chief.