N/A GTO turnsover but won't start.

mcvites69

Car
R32 GTS-4
Hi all Can anyone give me any idea on this please. I've got a 92reg non-turbo gto i was driving home the other day doing the speed limit and the car just cut out , i had to roll it to the hard shoulder. Turned the key and nothing it cranks over but won't fire. The cams turn , engine turns but nothing . i got recovered home as the guy from the AA just scratched his head as soon as i said oh its a jap import mate awd 4ws you know. Arrh best tow you then , not with awd auto you won't mate. anyway. Got it home ,had a good look around it couldn't see anythink waving at me, So i done some digging on the net emailed (eurospec thanks for replying ben) Siad it be the ecu but without seeing the car couldn't say (fair enough) so i've taken the ecu out and sent it to the ECU doctor (he's on internet really nice bloke) he checked ,tested no faults found for 45 quid with postage. so i got a datalogger kit but with all the right kit that won't connect to the car now. I checked for a spark today but nothing , now waiting for a ebay jobbie power amp pack. Otherwise any idea's?

No, i'm not Ben, different company :bigsmile:. Ben is from Eurospec, i'm from Sumiyaka, we chatted a couple of times today about engines as it happens and have a good professional and friendly relationship between the two companies.

To save me from endless typing, follow THIS link on how to check for fault codes. The link is writen for an American site, the diagnostic port for your car is in the drivers footwell, next to the internal fuse box.

Thanks for all the replies. I brought a handhalo datalogger kit for the fault codes but it won't connect to the cars ecu for some reason! i'm STILL wating for the guy who sold it me to explain why its not working. I've look at that fault code site (kbekl) a lot of them need the engine runing (mines dead lol). The alarm i've got fitted if its on you don't get anything no dash light until you dis arm it so don't think itsthat but i will look into it thanks. Mark

it depends if it is obdi or obdII if it is the obdi then you just need the ignition

if it is obdii then i am not too sure

from the year of your car i would guess it is an obdi but then it mght have been changed

I'll give it a try got nothing else to loose lol . I've had to buy an old analog test meter (needle movement) off ebay £7.50 with postage bargain lol. So i can check the long/short needle sweeps as the new datalogger won't work.

easier with a led to be honest as i tried with a voltmeter, difficult to tell between the long and short impulses, but mine was a digital multimeter

i used a pc led as i have a front pannel on spare pc that lights up

An analogue multimeter is perfect. You don't need any high tech gadgetry to read fault codes. THIS Is ideal for such a purpose, yes i realise that you have bought one but others may require something similar.

i only know of a few imobilsers and they all stoped the engine turning over

rovers
my old clifford

so things might have changed

Right then guys a quick up-date on this gto of mine. I got my meter this morning , i fitted two flying leadsto the diagnostic plug on the car 1 red pos 12 blue neg switched the mter to DcV , turned the iginiton to position two and nowt , nad'da, zip , nothing no needle sweep so i've double checked leads, instuctions , internet even got the father in law to check everything but nowt. Now that says the ecu is shot but i've sent it away for repair and its come back with NO FAULTS. So i think i'm up that creek without a paddle now (or i've got a major harness problem ) i that case i ain't even got the canoe lol. Any idea's guys

do you know any one with the same car ?

or maybe a member of here might help

try to get a def working ecu and plug it in see if that works if nit plug yours in to theirs just to make sure it is working

if it still done start with another in then it will be loking at wiring got to any sensor to see if you are getting any voltage from the ecu see if you are getting voltage to the ecu (someone might know which is the correct pin)

you could have a problem going to the ecu or a problem going from the ecu

all the dash lights are working ? also check all fuses if you havent already and check relays (best to have a good working car to swap them with )

Check the fuse box under the bonnet, there will be a 20 amp [yellow] fuse which is your main ECU fuse into the car, make sure this is o.k. even pull it and chech the blades are free from dirt/corrosion.
In the passenger footwell, on the centre tunnel there is a relay, this needs to be working.
I don't have access to the diagrams right now as i'm home but if i remember correctly, pin 10 is the output to the 20 amp fuse in the engine bay.
Sorry but this is my last input on this for two weeks as i'm away. Good luck.

Kbekl. All the dash lights work the check engine isn't on. I'll check what you and Ben has said. I don't know anyone else who has a gto , my lot have got 200sx or skylines like i used to but i thought i'd have change lol .

Right million gold stars for Country bumpkin (thanks Ben) A broken wire under the main fusebox that feeds the ecu . I touched it and it blew the fuse. i remade the connection changed the fuse.She started first time. So in conclusion itscost me £50 to get the ecu checked and tested and £49.00 plus for a datalogger kit (that don't work) all for a broken wire under the fuse box oh well. Now if this happens to anyone else check under the fuse box in the engine bay first. I could kick myself after owning classic minis that was a common fault that the fuse box used to short against the bodywork didn't think that would happen to a £40k (in its day that is) car from japan would you. Thanks for everyone who replied to this thread. Mark

Glad you found the fault but my name is still Mark and i'm still from Sumiyaka. ;)
I can now go on holiday safe in the knowledge that your GTO is up and running. Wanted to add a smilie but can't do it on edit.

Last edited:
LOL sorry Mark (country bumpkin) Thanks again. Hope you have a good holiday mate. Thanks all. True i've got all the kit if it plays up again lol. Saying that it one of them thing when you have a modified car weather its a jap, ford , bmw etc once you start up grading thats when the trouble starts lol.