gto wont start

paddyrob

Tuner
Car
mitsi gto
hi
has enyone ever tried to repair an ecu themselves???
i am a bit reluctant to give someone a couple of hundred pounds for giving me back an ecu with the same problems i had before:amazed:
ive heard some bad things about some of these people
would rather have a go myself:toung:
any info gratefully apreciated, thanks paddy:lol:

hi
ive got no power to injectors,ive got fuel going in and a good spark,
ive tested fuses, relays,everything electrical,it has to be the ecu,
i hope its the ecu??? cos im stumped if it isnt.
running out of ideas and money fast :-((

Would it not be cheaper and easier just to sorce another ecu off ebay? Also, I know this may sound a bit simple and daft but, have you made sure that the fuel pipes and fuel filter themselves are ok? I had a similar problem when I did a conversion on my Vectra where there was power to the pump but nothing coming through, replaced all pipes with braided hoses and a new fuel filter and bobs ya uncle ;)

Also when you check, get someone with a metre and check the fuel pump wires at both ends. That way should allow you to eliminate teh problem.

hi paddyrob, welcome to tc

bring the car to a mitshibisi garage and ask them to do a dynostics check
its cheap enough and you'll definatly know whats wrong

Let's start with a basic check. Turn the ignition on to stage one, do not start the car. Look at the standard boost gauge. If it is sitting in the middle it has passed the self check mode. This does not guarantee that the E.C.U. is perfect but it's a start. If the needle stays at the bottom or deflects to full, the E.C.U. definitely has a problem.
The main problem with the early units was that cheap capacitors were fitted at the factory and they tend to break down and leak, this then tracks across the board and incurrs damage to other components.
Yes you can buy a second hand unit off e-bay but unless it has been fitted with new capacitors and the board cleaned and re-lacquered it will most probably do the same thing. You will need a unit with an identical serial number. If your GTO is a Mk1 T.T. it will require a 9964.
We use the ECU Doctor for our main repairs, i trust him and we constantly have around 20 GTO's at the workshop from all over the country.
I can't guarantee that this is your fault as i haven't seen or checked your car but it's where i would start, judging by your symptoms.
Check things yourself. Mitsubishi have about as much knowledge of these cars as i do of next weeks winning lottery numbers.

Remove the E.C.U. open it up and i'm fairly sure that you will see that the capacitors have leaked and damaged the board.
To do this, first disconnect the battery negative terminal, then remove both carpeted side panels on the centre tunnel. The unit is bolted upright at the front, just to the left of the drivers left foot. It will be a gold coloured unit with three yellow multi plugs going into it. Press the tabs in the centre of each multi plug and remove them from the unit, do not pull on the wires !
The lid is secured on the unit via four screws, remove them and you will see the capacitors, they will be black cylinders.
There is a chance that no visual damage is present and that the injector drivers have failed.

Just read through your previous post on this and as you have a non turbo, you obviously can't do the boost gauge check. :)
You also appear to have replaced the caps. Was there any visual damage ?
Your E.C.U. will also be a 9961 not a 64 as i posted below thinking it was for a T.T.
As i have also said before though, it's not always visual when it comes to main board faults.

Let's start with a basic check. Turn the ignition on to stage one, do not start the car. Look at the standard boost gauge. If it is sitting in the middle it has passed the self check mode. This does not guarantee that the E.C.U. is perfect but it's a start. If the needle stays at the bottom or deflects to full, the E.C.U. definitely has a problem.
The main problem with the early units was that cheap capacitors were fitted at the factory and they tend to break down and leak, this then tracks across the board and incurrs damage to other components.
Yes you can buy a second hand unit off e-bay but unless it has been fitted with new capacitors and the board cleaned and re-lacquered it will most probably do the same thing. You will need a unit with an identical serial number. If your GTO is a Mk1 T.T. it will require a 9964.
We use the ECU Doctor for our main repairs, i trust him and we constantly have around 20 GTO's at the workshop from all over the country.
I can't guarantee that this is your fault as i haven't seen or checked your car but it's where i would start, judging by your symptoms.
Check things yourself. Mitsubishi have about as much knowledge of these cars as i do of next weeks winning lottery numbers.

Remove the E.C.U. open it up and i'm fairly sure that you will see that the capacitors have leaked and damaged the board.
To do this, first disconnect the battery negative terminal, then remove both carpeted side panels on the centre tunnel. The unit is bolted upright at the front, just to the left of the drivers left foot. It will be a gold coloured unit with three yellow multi plugs going into it. Press the tabs in the centre of each multi plug and remove them from the unit, do not pull on the wires !
The lid is secured on the unit via four screws, remove them and you will see the capacitors, they will be black cylinders.
There is a chance that no visual damage is present and that the injector drivers have failed.
thanks for your time and advice,my gto is a non turbo,auto with moonroof,
i have got ecu out ok and opened it up,one of the capacitors has leaked and there is some damage too the track,my friend has got it at the moment and he will repair for me,
will keep you posted

many thanks paddy