mitsubishi 3000GT

boyracer8

Car
3000GT
hi everyone

just wondering if anyone can help, i am looking for the fuel filter on this car and just cant find it anywhere, also having problems with the gearbox its very difficult getting into gear when cold but when warmed up its easier but still tight. so any ideas can it be gear linkage or master cylinder etc???

ohh sorry its a 1999 3000GT VR4 twin turbo uk model.

thanks

mike

Go to the fuse box in the engine bay and remove the yellow [20 Amp] fuse, identified as EMI on the fuse box cover. Turn the engine over for a couple of turns, this will cut the fuel and remove any fuel pressure in the lines.
Place a tray under the battery area to catch any fuel spillage when removing the filter.
To change the fuel filter, remove the battery [negative terminal off first]. You will see the battery tray, in the middle are two small nuts, 10 mm socket, undo these to release the washer bottle. Then undo the four securing bolts for the battery tray, 12 mm socket and remove it.
Unplug the two pin electrical connector on the side of the washer bottle, this is the washer pump, and move it out of the way. You will see the fuel filter.
You will need a 19 mm socket for the top banjo bolt and a 19 mm open end spanner to hold the top neck on the filter. Undo the top banjo bolt.
On the bottom of the fuel filter there is a 'U' pipe. On the end of this pipe there is a fixed union, 19 mm open end spanner, hold this union, do not try to turn it as it is the female. The male union is the one you undo. You will need a 14 mm spanner, preferably of THIS type, which will prevent you from rounding the head of the union. These can be very tight at times, especially if they have never been changed.
The filter housing/bracket is attached to the bulkhead via two bolts, 12 mm socket, undo these and remove the filter and bracket together.
The filter housing is secured to the filter via a through bolt, 10 mm socket, remove this and remove the housing, noting which way it sits, there are two or three grooves in the bracket which marry up to the filter to assist correct alignment on re-fitment.
When removed you will see that the 'U' pipe is attahed to the filter by the same method as the top banjo bolt you undone first. Make a note of how the 'U' pipe sits so you don't put it on your new filter the wrong way round.
Make sure that you renew the copper washers and that you do the banjo bolt up firmly but with care not to strip the threads on the banjo bolt.
Re-fit the bracket and refit the filter to the car using a reverse sequence of the removal.
It is wise to clean the contacts on the washer pump connectors and spray them with an electrical conductive lube, we use THIS but something like THIS which is readily available from your local Motor Factors and is cheap enough will suffice.
Re-build everything. Re-connect the battery, negative terminal last.
Replace the 20 amp fuse and start the car. It will require a couple of moments to prime the new filter and system. Check for leaks, this is very important but will be obvious as it will drip or rather leak profusely if there is a leak.
Last thing to do is check that the windscreen washers still work as the connections on the pump don't like being disturbed, hence the use of the contact lube.

As for the gearbox, it should be a six speed box. Check the oil level and check for signs of leaks etc.
Depending on mileage it may be one of several things. Without driving it, it's hard to tell but i would consider an oil change as the first stop. Only use a GL4 based oil of 75/90, a GL4/5 is o.k. but do not use a plain GL5. Castrol Syntrac is a good oil but to be honest, these boxes run better on a less expensive oil like Comma.
I doubt very much if it is anything external or hydraulic, these are not faults which relate to your problem. The only other possibility is that the synchros are begining to wear due to mis-use or lack of g/box service.
If the clutch pedal is heavy/hard it's a good bet that your clutch is worn. Contrary to perception, the clutches on these cars are very light to use when they are in good condition and that includes uprated versions.
It may be worth your while to check the transfer box oil level at the same time, as these were subject to a recall for leaks from the seals, there is still a warranty recall on the transfer box if your car has not had it done.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask if you need further help. :)

Last edited:
thank for the info, how easy is it to change the gear and transfer box oil? i'm not too sure where all the drain and fill plugs are!!! i got reciepts from the last owner that the clutch was done 3k ago by mitsubishi.

i got reciepts from the last owner that the clutch was done 3k ago by mitsubishi.

That may well be your problem ! ;) The drain and fill plugs are obvious if you get the motor in the air and this isn't something you will be doing with all four wheels on the deck anyway.
Always use new aluminium washers on the drain and fill plugs and don't be tempted to over tighten them or you will strip the threads in the casings.
I have had so many of these come to the workshop where most of the time the faults were caused by negligence whilst having other work done somewhere.
Unfortunately Mitsubishi franchises and garages in general know very little about these motors and it is reflected in their workmanship.
Of course, it may just be that you have a worn gearbox.

Last edited:
Hi you mentioned change the oil on the transfer box? can you tell me which oil to use and where is the transfer box located?

thanks for your help!

mike

Hi Mike,

Use the same oil as for the gearbox. The transfer box is bolted to the gearbox, you can't miss it, it points towards the rear of the car and has a propshaft coming out of it.
If you can get the motor in the air, all of this becomes apparent to you. :)

hi

i'm goin to service the car this week and wondering when changing the plugs do i have to remove the manifold or is there an easier option? and is there anything i need to look out for?
i just got the car a month ago and doin anything on it is a nightmare!

thanks
mike

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the delay. I am glad to help when i can but it's not practical for me to write the entire workshop manual here.:lol:
Things i would advise; Enjoy this community but also join the owners club @ gtouk.org.uk where i have already answered most of these questions tenfold. Buy the proper workshop manual from the club.
I hope that doesn't upset the moderators here.:)

To answer your question. Yes you need to remove the plenum. The plugs you require are NGK PFR6J-11. The gasket is a crush type and will need renewing, the part number from Mitsubishi is MD143791. You can raise the plenum with the throttle body still attached but you will need to remove the Y-pipe and a few hose connections. The torque setting for the plenum bolts is 13ft/lbs - 18 Nm. The plugs are torqued to 18ft/lbs - 25 Nm.
For parts you might want to call Rob@Evil Empire, 01702 614469 / 07891606913, he stocks loads of genuine parts for these cars at a very good price.
I hope that helps you.

Hi

its ok, i really appreciate your advice on all my car problems. i do like playin around with my cars but this 3000Gt is just so different and complicated compared to the lagunas, vectras mondeos etc i've had in the past, also make any mistake on this car and its guarenteed to cost a bomb to sort out.

guess wot? i tried to change the fuel filter this morning as it was a nice day, pulled the bonnet catch and the cable broke, took me and my mate all day trying to prise the bonnet open, scratch the paintwork, dented the bumper and bust the catch, but atleast the bonnet is open NOW after 6 whole hours!!!
not having much luck with this new car of mines, what can go wrong next?

Hi Mike,

Use the same oil as for the gearbox. The transfer box is bolted to the gearbox, you can't miss it, it points towards the rear of the car and has a propshaft coming out of it.
If you can get the motor in the air, all of this becomes apparent to you. :)

hi there

just want to let you know that gearbox oil has been done now and for some reason there was about 5L that came out of it and it was green, i think mitsubishi has over filled it with the wrong oil.

i used the gl-4 75/90w oil, and only used under 3Ltr

anyway thanks for all your advice.

mike