Maybe its fuel?

PKnFR

Tuner
Car
'88 300ZX Turbo Z31
Trying to get my car running. Has two SU carbs. The recent issue seems to be the filter. A friend sucked the gas out and said if tasted like water (i thought that was a rather unorthodox method). After bypassing the filter with clean gasoline we turned the motor over as it drank more and more gas without starting.

A new battery, fuel filter, and some starting fluid later it fired up. But now it doesn't want to start again. It gets SOO close. I noticed my filter isn't completely filled with gas, only about 2/3 of the way. Could it be that my mechanical fuel pump isn't sucking enough?

Suggestions would be very appreciated.

Take the plugs out and check if they spark . If they do its 99% sure its petrol or more accuraetly lack of

Theres a much better and safer way of testing for water in the fuel that tasting it :blink1:

Just disconnect the fuel pipe and turn the engine over so you get some fuel in a jar . If you had an electric pump you would only need to turn the ignition on

Water doesnt mix with petrol so you can immeadiately see if there is any water - it will sink to the bottom.

Could be it was no fuel and you now have flooded it .
checking the plugs will tell you that

I'd look for a leak. Pumps that suck the fuel have a harder time than those that push. Pull the line at the tank or before the filter and pressurize it, with someone watching for it to leak out somewhere.

Also look at the base of the carbs for an air leak on one.

Okay, I was fiddling with it some more. I removed the hoses that went into each carb and turned it over. They both gave, what I think were, pretty good spurts of gas. I did test with a cup as SLEEPER had suggested and there was no water in my lines.

I was going to check the plugs but I was too lazy to look for a socket. I am thinking it's the plugs and I was also going to replace the air filter for good measure (it needs it badly anyways).

Also, after turning the motor over and walking to see if the fuel filter was filling with gas, I heard a noise that somewhat sounded like fluid leaking or running back into something (as if it were draining). I looked all around and did not see the slightest sign of a leak. I plan to check the plugs and try again tomorrow, maybe the sound was some weird coincidence.

How would I diagnose an air leak in the carb?

I'll let you know if plugs are the problem.

Have you tried balancing the carbs? Disconnecting vacuum advances, you should have equal vacuum in each for it to run smoothly. In this simple balancer (two juice bottles filled 1/3 with water and a piece of scrap hose cut in 3 pieces), excess suction on one pulls the water from one to the other. Adjust and check again. If there is an air leak, no adjusting will get there. Once balanced, the water levels will remain equal.
page23-1028-full.jpg

page23-1027-full.jpg

Or you can by testing equipment, but not around here. Anyway zero cost and materials from the trash are better than going out and ordering something that does the same thing.

What about carb adjustment/choke adjustment? :blink1:please correct me if I'm wrong, I have little experience with carb-ed engines. Just know that on a small engine(lawnmower) the choke has to be right for easy starting.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back