What Car Engine Modifications Are Available To Make Them Fuel Efficient?

saadi123

Car
suzuki(cultus)
I'm interested in old cars.

Not necessarily vintage cars but the cars from 70's, 80's and some even 90's.

However, the problem is with their engines. They devour gas like an ogre. Like having a mileage of just 8km/ltr.

I want to know what are some modifications that can be applied to these old engines to make them more fuel efficient without effecting their power output.

I mean is there any modification there in the first place?

Would love to know the answers.

Thank you.

I don't know why it isn't letting me edit my question so I'm adding it here.

One important question that I forgot is that how much will the modification cost?

Thank you.

Conversion to electronic ignition and fuel injection is the single biggest upgrade on old cars. Cost depends on the car, if there is a more recent model with fuel injection it will help but this came in around the early 90's so it's unlikely the engine was still being used.

Getting a 3 angle job on the head and setting up the carb correctly will also yield more fuel economy but to be brutally honest you're not going to see much fuel economy even on a highly tuned classic engine, they were just build for another era entirely.

What about dropping in a new engine from a modern car, get more power and better fuel economy?

But don't you think that seeking new engine from a new car would be more expensive than modifying the current one?

But don't you think that seeking new engine from a new car would be more expensive than modifying the current one?
Over here we have breakers yards and dismantlers so you can usually find a good cheap used engine that would be suitable for most projects. As has been said before cost varies greatly depending on what you are doing and what your overall aims are. Weigh up all your options and then decide but plan the whole project.

I see lots of people doing small jobs now and then to make a car better but having to undo a lot of the stuff they've done along the way because they haven't planned well or have changed the plan part way through the project.

It also depends greatly on the brand and model of car you are talking about as well to be honest, Something youve not mentioned yet? and if it is a petrol or diesel car|B