Is max speed important

I think what could be concluded here is that top speed is not ultimately important for general road usage; that most cars are more than capable of exceeding it by quite a significant margin is sufficient for this purpose.

But the stronger point which has emerged, albeit off topic, is one of consideration for others.

Not just other road users who may become involved directly, and not just loved ones.

There's the emergency services professionals (they, too, are human) who have to cut a corpse from a mangled vehicle.

As TN said, even people you don't know (and will never know) are affected.
Perfectly summed up.

In my experience, that is exactly the sort of atitude that is going to get you killed.

If you were talking to an overconfident nipper id agree, but your not.

And as for it affecting the services etc, i completely understand that point having been the officer in pursuit of a drunk squaddie on a ZXR, who ploughed head first into a solid brick wall at over 130mph right in front of me...

My point was not that it was perfectly safe to do silly speeds on public roads, my point was that WHEN i do it, i do it in the best POSSIBLE conditions, therefore presenting the lowest possible risk factor.

I am not some 17year old knob who rags his #!#!#!#!ty VTR around the town centre trying to impress the girls, I am a car enthusiast and avid tuner, with plenty of driving experience behind me and a plentitude of advanced police training.

Many of you will still not agree with me, but that is your opinion, and you are all entitled to it. :blink1:

So as I understand it you are either or used to be plod?
If so does your Superior officer know you have broke the speed limit on a public road without responding to an incident?
If you are or have been a police officer then you of all people should know better.
And like has already been said it doesn't matter how much driving experience you have you can still make a mistake. Even plod crash police cars with full blues going.

Well Pikey......
You said you were putting yourself in the firing line!
Many good points and opinions, including your own; have come from this quote
I am not adding to it other than to ask that all responders perhaps take/make a lit more effort when answering.
Many of you may not read, like or agree with my efforts here but........ They are long/er because I am trying to put the whole issue into them. Obviously they COULD be much longer to do full justice to the response!!
Your further replies have expanded your original and given us some better view of yourself albeit that there still appears to be a (ex?) Policeman's attitude there.
In the HC "due care and attention..." applies to the road. Please people let us all extend that to all others.
Points have been made as to those who can/are affected by accidents
I wish I could afford to travel to the 'Ring in Germany. I would like to know that my car will do the 120 it is supposed to but........
It seems that even there with everyone going the same way many deaths have occurred
You, I and others on here might consider ourselves absolutely brilliant, observant and super-reactive drivers BUT........... for even one who might just be superdriver there are 25 who certainly aint
AND, before I get someone telling me there are Tracks over here. I cannot afford them either!!!!!!!!
Remember what Alistair Stewart says at the end of Police, Camera, Action..........
Be safe out there
ALL OF US!!

I was military Plod in germany for 4 years.

and as i have made REPEATEDLY clear, i am in NO WAY saying there are not risks involved or that i cannot make a mistake.
all i am saying is that if and when i put my foot down i am doing so in the safest POSSIBLE conditions.

Whilst i can appreciate that you are an admin and therefore have to be seen to put the right message across, you repeating yourself is getting rather repetitive.
And lets be honest, with a username like TurboNutter69, and the cars you have owned and said you have owned, there is no way on this planet you dont speed. You dont buy cars like Fiesta RST's to drive em sensibly. if you say you do, then your either 1 in a million, or a liar. and i know which one id have my money on! ;)

Everyone has an opinion.
With regards my old Fiesta Rs I can honestly say that it never ever got thrashed. Now one of the Scoobs I had that was another story alltogether.
But I kept the speed to the track. You see I have more fun in the twisties than in a straight line. I'd prefer to test my cars grip rather than top speed. An most of the country lanes round here are really twisty so I very rarely go over the 60mph limit. ;)

None of us here is endorsing dangerous or irresponsible driving so let's not turn this tread into a battle of wits.

I'm sure we've all had a push here and there on desolate sections of dry carriageway but would not dream of driving at three figure speeds in the normal course of our lives.

Slightly hypocritically I will also point out that the thread is entited 'Is max speed important?' and the topic has, err, evolved, a little.

Hypocritial of me? Yes, because I am sometimes guilty of altering the track of threads. MaserAuron has used the word 'hijack' to perfectly describe this.

The fact is that speed alone is not a particular problem, there are many other 'bad' things which can compromise safety. Yet TN69 is totally correct - even if everything else remains perfectly constant you are still goiing to be increasing risk by travelling faster. By how much and by what means is largely irrelevant here.

Furthermore, I'm not suggesting that simply complying with the speed limit is adequate to ensure safety. It's perfectly possible to drive very dangerously without getting anywhere near the posted speed limit. But for those drivers who really are very poor in terms of observation and anticipation it's even more important to stick to lower speeds.

I doubt, however, that this forum has many, if any, members who are that poor as drivers. The profile of such ignorant and blissfully unaware drivers is one that they would have no interest in joining Torque Cars.

Last edited:
Well I for one am only interested in my top speed from a pub bragging rights perspective! :lol:

My speedo also stops at 160mph, I know it is capable of more, but only a trip to Germany would ever reveal the true answer to me; and one of these days I shall do just that!

I have seen many cars attempts at breaking the land speed record on the motorways! while I have been zipping along I have had cars shoot past me like I was driving with my handbrake on :amazed:

These are the chaps who obviously feel they are protected by the Golden Fleece! no judgement made just an observation!

Warning! Mr plods cars are getting even more sneakier :amazed: Last year in Brentwood Essex I actually saw an unmarked (no police decals) sign written builders van with blue lights flashing tearing down an A-road in hot pursuit of something. From that moment on, I suspected everything! and it proved to be a much calming control of my right foot :)

Be careful fella's :)

Late night midweek on the M40 can be like that.

About ten years ago I was driving home around midnight, probably doing between 90-95 mph and an Impreza went by at, I would estimate, 150mph.

Late night midweek on the M40 can be like that.

About ten years ago I was driving home around midnight, probably doing between 90-95 mph and an Impreza went by at, I would estimate, 150mph.

It's so easy to do those speeds in a scoob. I remember cruising down the motorway in my old one and looked at the speedo an I was doing a ton.:blink:
Didn't realise till I looked. Lifted off an even the dump valve didn't go off so wasn't even using any boost.