Is max speed important

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Is the maximum speed of a car important to you? Would it be a bad world if all cars were factory limited to 90mph?

Do you ever look at a cars top speed when you are considering buying one?

Top speed is not important to me, not for a road car.....But I dont think I would like to be restricted :confused:

But if I was I would want to get to 90mph in under 5 secs :blink:

The top speed is NOT an important issue but... it is relevant!
There may be an incident where instead of braking and ending up in an accident the ability to be able to accelerate out of the problem arising will avoid it.
Therefore, knowing the cars' limitations is something we should all be aware of.
Limited to 90?
Well, of course it is 20mph over Mway limit but would it work?
IIRC some long time ago some 'expert' suggested that if we were all travelling at the same speed on Mways it would resolve many issues and problems. I'm not so sure. Certainly at present with drivers doing all sorts of speeds on the roads (duals & Mways) it can often be advantageous to pass as many as possible safely but at high speed.
I suppose we could relate it to a race? Where by being in front means you have a clear run at the finish!:D
The other problem with limiting is as now. whatever limit/s are imposed there is ALWAYS someone who will disregard it/them from 20 - 70 (and to infinity Buzz Lightyear:p):sad2:
A high ACCELERATING pickup speed is useful knowledge for overtaking and being aware of the 50-70 time is more important than 0-60?:confused:Those responders who go into Techie specs can offer their comments on the ins and outs of the maths:bigsmile:
Is it a truism that a 3ltr car engine will outaccelerate a 1.4. Does kerbweight or indeed the number of passengers influence the accelerating performance:eek:
I want to go and answer a quote re innovations now:blink1:
Is the maximum speed of a car important to you? Would it be a bad world if all cars were factory limited to 90mph?

Do you ever look at a cars top speed when you are considering buying one?

Absolutely crucial of course. My car's top speed is a paltry 147mph and I find this really limiting on British roads.

Perhaps there's something wrong with it 'cuz the dial goes up to 160mph.

It's not important but if I had a car that had the 155mph restriction on it I'd want it removed, not cos I wanted to do that speed but just for the principle. I cant be the only person thinking this, most of the remappers will do this as part of a remap.

Absolutely crucial of course. My car's top speed is a paltry 147mph and I find this really limiting on British roads.

Perhaps there's something wrong with it 'cuz the dial goes up to 160mph.

I like your style!

I'd say it is important. Prob would not affect me buying a car, but it is nice to know what it can do. I have got to be honest with you. I am a bit of a girl when it comes to top speed. I have been on the perfect road, perfect conditions, no one els on the road, 3 lains, and about 3 miles long with no bend and decided to top my car. I have done this twice, and both times wimped out at a ton fourty. I dont drive to the top speed of the car. I would much rather do 90 around a corner then on a straight.

Saying that, I know the guy who had my car before got 165 out of her, so at least I have some braggin rights when people ask me what she can do!! :amuse:

I like the idea that if a car is good for 140+ mph then it's not being stretched at all if driven at 85mph with four people and a full boot.

It's also likely to have suspension and brakes designed to cope with higher speeds, thus giving better safety margin at sensible speeds, less exotic speeds.

Last edited:
I don't doubt for a second that your car is capable of exceeding 160mph. I was jsut summising that you don't go quite that fast, all that much of the time :lol: :lol:
your quite right, when I'm on the track i tend not to look at how fast I'm going.

well im gonna put myself in the firing line here....

I take every car i own to its top speed, its like an OCD thing, i just HAVE to do it!

BUT, and its a big but, acceleration and driveability is much much more important to me than top speed.

Referring to PIKEY I agree that acceleration is important.

It is. And acceleration does not have to start from a standstill.

When judging performance of cars by numbers alone I generally look for the 60-90 times to be no greater than the 0-60 times.

Well pikey.
So far; no one has shot you:bigsmile:
what you needed to say was, of course; WHERE do you topout:confused:It is one thing to speed offroad on a track.
Quite another when doing it on the roads:blink:
You might be doing this at 2 in the morning when roads are quiet?(but quite possibly monitored by several unseen means by the fuzz:sad2:Mine does, supposedly; 120 but its never been up to that. Ihave done just over the ton on a Mway for a short spurt, passing slower cars but...... as I risk automatic disqualification at 100 it might be never for the car to stretch to 120:blink:
You said you were putting yourself in the firing line.
IF youare doing this act/s irresponsibly then, sorry bud but you deserve the bullet:sad2:
well im gonna put myself in the firing line here....

I take every car i own to its top speed, its like an OCD thing, i just HAVE to do it!

BUT, and its a big but, acceleration and driveability is much much more important to me than top speed.

You just made a rather daft comment....

Automatic ban is anything over 98mph iirc, but even if it is 100mph, you are just as likely to lose your licence at 100 as you are at 140.... once your over 100mph, you may as well make the most of it...

People can say what they like about speeding on public roads, but we all know speedlimits are massively outdated, and imo are now much much more about generating revenue than they are saving lives.

Look at Germany for instance, on certain Autobahns there is no speed limit. and Germanys fatality rate on these stretches of Autobahn are far less than compared to our motorway network.

That said, i DO NOT drive excessively fast unless my judgement tells me it is as safe as possible to do so. ie not during traffic, not in built up areas etc etc.
The fuzz is for me to worry about and me alone.

And before anyone slates my judgement due to my age, i probably have more driving experience and qualification than 90% of people on here, Driving Police cars for 2 years (12hour shifts 6 days a week) and taxi's for 3 years (18hour shifts 5-7 days a week)....

OK Pikey
Your opinion is your opinion
Mine is mine
Others are theirs
Im outta here!!!

Automatic ban is anything over 98mph iirc, but even if it is 100mph, you are just as likely to lose your licence at 100 as you are at 140.... once your over 100mph, you may as well make the most of it...

People can say what they like about speeding on public roads, but we all know speedlimits are massively outdated, and imo are now much much more about generating revenue than they are saving lives.

Look at Germany for instance, on certain Autobahns there is no speed limit. and Germanys fatality rate on these stretches of Autobahn are far less than compared to our motorway network.

That said, i DO NOT drive excessively fast unless my judgement tells me it is as safe as possible to do so. ie not during traffic, not in built up areas etc etc.

And before anyone slates my judgement due to my age, i probably have more driving experience and qualification than 90% of people on here, Driving Police cars for 2 years (12hour shifts 6 days a week) and taxi's for 3 years (18hour shifts 5-7 days a week)....

IIRC it is twice the speed limit or 100mph for instant ban.
Regardless of age and experience speeding on public roads is very dangerous. It doesn't matter if you've done all the advanced driving courses there is it is still down right dangerous. You yourself might have the ability but there is plenty of people on the road that don't.

IIRC it is twice the speed limit or 100mph for instant ban.
Regardless of age and experience speeding on public roads is very dangerous. It doesn't matter if you've done all the advanced driving courses there is it is still down right dangerous. You yourself might have the ability but there is plenty of people on the road that don't.

Which is precisely where judgement comes into it.

A completely empty stretch of open road, good visibility and good weather conditions....
Doesnt sound downright dangerous to me.... and if an accident should occur, in the parameters mentioned above, the ONLY person i am putting at risk, is me.

Which is precisely where judgement comes into it.

A completely empty stretch of open road, good visibility and good weather conditions....
Doesnt sound downright dangerous to me.... and if an accident should occur, in the parameters mentioned above, the ONLY person i am putting at risk, is me.

I can't disagree with that point. It's rock solid. So long as we back off when there's any evidence that other traffic might be around it's a small risk, almost nil risk, activity.

I can understand how some drivers become confused by, let's say, the massive acceleration of a high end sports bike. 70mph to 140mph in 4 seconds is a shorter time than many drivers take between mirror checks.

On a totally open motorway then of it's not so bad. But how can you be sure there isn't something coming the other way when your bombing down a country lane?
Even if you have a crash all by yourself it still affects other people.

On a totally open motorway then of it's not so bad. But how can you be sure there isn't something coming the other way when your bombing down a country lane?
Even if you have a crash all by yourself it still affects other people.

That, too, is sound and I support it wholeheartedly. Which is why I endeavor to adjust speed and position so I can stop in HALF the distance I can see to be clear. Sometimes this can go wrong, but you cannot go everywhere at 9mph just in case someone does something utterly and mindlessly stupid.

We're getting into the higher echelons of advanced driving techniques now, where science and physics become art forms themselves, at least for this purpose.

totally agree, but i dont go bombing down country lanes at ridiculous speeds, because my judgement tells me that anything can happen in that kind of situation.

And if i was to have a crash on an empty motorway with conditions as i outlined, then it would be a total and freak accident whereby the circumstances were totally out of my control. and in that case it would happen whether i was at 70mph or 150mph regardless.

The point is that top speed isnt an important factor, because you wont use it regularly enough for it to be so. :)

And if i was to have a crash on an empty motorway with conditions as i outlined, then it would be a total and freak accident whereby the circumstances were totally out of my control. and in that case it would happen whether i was at 70mph or 150mph regardless.

But you'd have more time to react at 70mph.
The point i'm making buddy is that even if you have a crash all by yourself it still affects other people.

Yes im fully aware of that chap, im a father of two and im not stupid enough to do anything that i feel would risk me being taken away from my kids.

My point is that when i do push my car, i only do it in circumstances whereby it is as safe as it possiblly can be to do so. I fully appreciate your point, but as said i have a LOT of driving experience and training and feel that my judgement is up to scratch.

In my experience, that is exactly the sort of atitude that is going to get you killed.

That comment's a little unfair in my opinion. Neither you nor I have been a passenger with PMsports so perhaps judgement should be not be passed.

I know where you're coming from. It's easy to automatically dismiss anyone who says they're a good driver as being a bad driver but sometimes things aren't so clear cut.

I'm not saying that PMsport is a bad driver, I'm more making a comment on his arrogance, I have been driving for over 30 years, (with never an accident) I have had many years experience in motor sport, but I would not drive a car on an empty motorway at 140MPH, I leave that for the track where there is rescue and medical facilities at hand, this is nothing to do with driver skill, but mechanical failure, something is much more likely to fail at 140MPH than 70MPH, a blowout at 70MPH would be quite controllable, I'm not sure I'd like a blowout as 140MPH.

140mph is a bit quick even on a deserted motorway, but many of us have said that we endorse the limit-free Autobahns.

The thread has got a little off course, but I think that's a good thing.

TN69 - you're point about it affecting other people, even you are involved in a single vehicle, driver only fatality is a very strong one and thankyou for making it. We'd still leave loved ones behind and that is a very sobering thought for all of us when we're tempted to play a bit too hard.

140mph is a bit quick even on a deserted motorway, but many of us have said that we endorse the limit-free Autobahns.

The thread has got a little off course, but I think that's a good thing.

TN69 - you're point about it affecting other people, even you are involved in a single vehicle, driver only fatality is a very strong one and thankyou for making it. We'd still leave loved ones behind and that is a very sobering thought for all of us when we're tempted to play a bit too hard.

Thats a very good point HDi but family is the closest thing that it would affect. There is a whole lot more individuals that it would affect too. People you don't even know.
All i'm getting at here is that even if someone has a crash all by themselves then there is loads of people it still affects in some way or another.

I think what could be concluded here is that top speed is not ultimately important for general road usage; that most cars are more than capable of exceeding it by quite a significant margin is sufficient for this purpose.

But the stronger point which has emerged, albeit off topic, is one of consideration for others.

Not just other road users who may become involved directly, and not just loved ones.

There's the emergency services professionals (they, too, are human) who have to cut a corpse from a mangled vehicle.

As TN said, even people you don't know (and will never know) are affected.