Gearbox/Injector Problems

lee172

Wrench Pro
Car
Audi a3 1.8
Hi, just wondering if any of you have had any trouble like i am having, whenever my car is cold it is hard to get into 2nd gear. Its fine when its warm just when its cold. Is it likely to be the gearbox on the way out or could it be low on gear oil or something like that? also the car judders sometimes when im drivng, i put some injector cleaner in and it sorted it but keeps happening after a while. any suggestions? thanks, Lee

judders when driving, that when you're labouring the engine at all? (too high gear for the speed you're going)

@ the thing with second gear, some cars are like that sometimes. I topped up my gearbox oil and that helped remedy it, but a lot of cars have problems like that when it's cold like this, so I was told :)

id say to change the gearbox oil for 2nd gear.
re juddering what fuel do you use ? quality (shell bp ) or cheapo supermarket stuff.
if its the latter rattle some injection cleaner in along with a tank of super unleaded

change the gearbox oil, wezzel is right, it happenes most cars

its the cold weather and how it turns gear oil into carmel
go to main dealers and get the right oil for it,

the oil for my car is like piss water, and its still a bit hard to get first in the mornings
if your gearbox was on the way out, you would know

id say to change the gearbox oil for 2nd gear.
re juddering what fuel do you use ? quality (shell bp ) or cheapo supermarket stuff.
if its the latter rattle some injection cleaner in along with a tank of super unleaded
90 percent of the time that works, its worth a try anyway mate:D

My A3 is pretty stiff in 1st and 2nd when cold but after it warms up it is fine. A gearbox oil change does work.

You can leave the car parked in the gear which is hard to select when you leave it and it seems better the next day. You can also put some grease on the gear change linkages over the gearbox and this helps free it up a bit.

Is the judder like a loss of power or a surge and drop in power?

Thanks for the replies. I will have to get some gear oil for it. i did put some grease on the gear linkages a while ago and it did help, totally slipped my mind though. the juddering is very wierd its definately a loss of power, and it doesnt usually do it when im high up in the revs so yes its always when im in a higher gear and going at lower speeds, say id be in 3rd going 30mph when i put my foot down it would not do anything for about 2 - 4 seconds then it would start to judder then all of a sudden it would be as if i dipped the clutch and i will get a load of power at once. Its happened about 3 times now in the last 6 months, i got some injector cleaner stuff from a local garage which you spray into the throttle body which sorts it out but not for very long. would i be right in thinking its the injectors? also i only use good fuel if i used the cheaper fuel it would do it alot worse.

Do you have an induction kit fitted? Has the power been disconnected recently?

It would be worth cleaning the MAF sensor just in case it is that playing up. I suspect the knock sensor is kicking in and backing off the fuelling.

Try this stuff to clean out the engine - its great I swear by it... http://torquecars.potn.com/p75718.htm

A thinner viscosity gearbox oil will help with gear selection, as for the juddering, this year and engine are prone for coil packs, which would also cause these symptoms, (the coils break down, resulting in an intermittent weak spark under load, in essence a misfire on one or more cyclinders, then suddently it will spring into life) if you can't remedy the problem i would try these. My dad owns a garage and has change literally hundreds of these on a3's, golfs, and early model tt's.

hope this helps