Fuel pump orientation

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
I am using a Holley blue label fuel pump as a lift pump to fill the swirl pot. I would like to mount it on its side but the fitting instructions say that it SHOULD be mounted vertically. However, it doesn't say MUST be mounted vertically.

Can anyone out there with experience of these pumps advise me on why I can't lay it on its side?

I want to do this as it makes fitting it easier.

I will be contacting Holley but a response could take a while and I would like some real world input.

thoughts
Some pumps are designed to work in the tank and as such usually mounted vertically so were designed to work that way.
Only other reason could possibly be to avoid air bubbles collecting in the pump ?

Youd did ask for input .............

I did, no point in posting otherwise :)

Pump is external. Bubbles could be the reason. These pumps are used on competition RS200s and set at around 45 degrees due to space constaints and work perfectly. I could bend the fixing bracket so pump is around 20 degrees to the horizontal.

sounds like that would be fine at 45 degrees or thereabouts Im sure there wouldnt be a bubble issue.
Of course it could just be that vertical is "optimum" therefore reccommended.

Trouble is that the the last thing you want is not enough fuel , so it is at high revs in high gears when any "weakness" shows up and is thus more difficult to check. ( but of course you know that :bigsmile:)

Any perfomance drop due to cavitation wouldn't be immediately obvious as this pump supplies fuel to the 1.5 litre swirl pot which then supplies the pair of 044s. On a 1/4 mile run this MAY not be an issue, but it isn't something I should be designing into the system :) If it has to be mounted vertically, or nearly so, then so be it and I will make a new bracket.

I have asked Holley and am awaiting a reply. I will let you know what they say.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back