Engine oil question for 400bhp car

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
Very informative site... I just needed to know one more thing, if you could please advise me:

In a Chevrolet Corvette C6, the specified oil is 0W-30
GM has issued this because of alot of people who are too dumb to adapt to their environment and to be on the safe side with all vehicles throughout the states...

where i live it never goes under 0 degrees C, should i be using something like 15W-50? I mean it reaches really high temperatures where i'm from, and the oil might not satisfy the engines needs to the full.

on the other hand i read that high viscosities means thicker oil, meaning that it wont lubricate the tight spaces of a performance engine well.

can i please have ur opinion as this is a performance engine 400bhp with only 10k miles.

15-50 would just not work. The low temp does not matter if its not freezing. 10-30 might be better for you but there is a shear problem at higher temperatures and a 50 would be just too thin.

The LS2 V8,

as well as all Gen 4 V8's are recommended to run what you have suggested (15w50). An option would be 10w40 or 10w60 (Castrol do the 10w60).

0w and 5w oils are fine also, but are apt to increase oil consumption.