engine mods question

bimic

Car
1999 A4 2.8 quattro
i'm sure there's a ton of questions like this already, but i've been searching and can't seem to find much. I recently got my hands on a 1999 a4 2.8l quattro for free, and the motor is a bit different than what i'm used to. i guess my question is what is everything that CAN be done to it performance-wise? is there much else that can be done besides turbo/supercharger, stasis chip, exhaust systems, and air intake?(while still being practical for daily use) engine seems really crowded as is. not sure how much modding i will actually be able to do, but i'd really like to know all the options that are out there. any help would be appreciated :) haha also what are all the potential engine swaps out there?? thanks for looking :)

I'd go for the R32 engine over the R36 myself.
On paper the R36 may produced more power. But.....
If you go on power per litre the R36 only wins on Bhp the R32 has more Torque per litre.
And that would clinch it for me.
Plus with it being a bit smaller it's prob gonna be a bit lighter too.

Have I missed something here?

For Free???

If that is the case, clean the baby up, sort out the bodywork if anything needs doing and relax and watch the car depreciate noting! I mean, it aint going to go down in value from nothing is it?

Once she is shiny shiny and you have some money, do what the boys have said and drop a R32 in.

I'd go for the R32 engine over the R36 myself.
On paper the R36 may produced more power. But.....
If you go on power per litre the R36 only wins on Bhp the R32 has more Torque per litre.
And that would clinch it for me.
Plus with it being a bit smaller it's prob gonna be a bit lighter too.

Nah, blocks are the same, so really the weight it the same and the dimensions.

The r36 can potencially produce more torque because of it's higher capacity and thats the route i'd go because you can buy a A4 with a 3.2, why not make it slightly different to the norm?

Early r32 from Mk4 or tt will fit but the R36 engine is a full speed canbus and would mean rewiring the whole car to get it to work.

there is quite a bit of difference between the earlier 3.2 and the later 3.2 3.6 fsi engine

that or you could just supercharge the 2.8