Driving without insurance

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Just a word of warning about driving without insurance. DON'T DO IT.

If your mate can't drive because he is ill or you just fancy a go in your mates car make sure you have at least third party insurance.

A Myth first, Comprehensive cover does not give you the "driving other cars extension" - most drivers over 25 who have the policy in their own name will get this extension. Never assume this and read your certificate.

Penalties - you will be charged with driving a car without insurance, given an IN10 and quite a large fine. Getting insurance will now be quite hard and expensive for a good 5 years.

The person who lent you the car has 2 options, they can say you drove it without their permission effectively leaving you to be prosecuted for taking a car without consent or they can agree that they gave permission and will also get endorsed for "allowing you to drive without insurance" getting an IN14 conviction with a similar fine.

If you had an accident without insurance you could face large third party claims yourself and injury compensation would also ultimately come from you. Plus the car would not be covered (it is also worth noting that driving other cars only ever gives third party cover.)

The consequences of this are just not worth taking the chance. Pass this information on and try to prevent anyone from taking this risk.

NB: IN14 - this is a no insurance conviction IN10 but to show that it was due to you causing, permitting, councilling or procuring another to do the offence a 4 is added. The 4 can as far as I know be added to any conviction if you weren't the driver but were somehow responsible.

I hate uninsured drivers. If someone crashed into me, and they were not insured id go nuts.

The problem is, in Waynne's comment, that is all tru, but what if you have no licene, no insurance, no tax, no MOT on your car???? And they dont work. Chances are, if one of these idiots drive into you they will most likley get away with a 12 month driving ban (even though they have no licence). The old balie cant fine them, as they have no income and living off state benefit. They cant send them to prison, as, there is no room.

I hear of anyone driving with no insurance, I warn everyone I can! Id never grass, but chances are some of the people that I warn would. Cant be doing with these idiots.

I pay enough money to dive, I dont want to pay anymore when somone hits me.

A chap on another site I frequent has recently been rear ended by an uninsured driver whilst he was driving his VXL MONARO VXR8.He can expect to pay at least £11,000 for the repairs.Police weren't interested when he reported the accident.:mad:

A chap on another site I frequent has recently been rear ended by an uninsured driver whilst he was driving his VXL MONARO VXR8.He can expect to pay at least £11,000 for the repairs.Police weren't interested when he reported the accident.:mad:

and police wonder why the ppl lose respect for them.
understand it could be hard for them to get convictions but at least show an interest

Driving without insurance is very very stupid. I someone is injured you're likely to be facing immediate and long term personal financial ruin.

exactly........but

its mainly the kids who cant aford 5k insurance on a 2k car that dont pay.
there must be away to give new drivers a "cheaper" way of getting insurance without clobering us "older" (cough) drivers.

exactly........but

its mainly the kids who cant aford 5k insurance on a 2k car that dont pay.
there must be away to give new drivers a "cheaper" way of getting insurance without clobering us "older" (cough) drivers.

there is, get the younger generation to go on sumone elses insurance who then in turn gain there no claims if they stay with tha company. theres a certain red phone insurance company tha does this i think. cheaper than insuring it on their own.

I'd try this to give new drivers a chance to get experience and to start building a NCD from day one:

Take this scenario: New driver just passed test; first car, something sensible (Focus/Astra 1.6 for example, nothing quick).

How about a £1500 premium, which is charged up front or spread over the year in instalments.

If that new driver clears the year without incident then there is a £1000 rebate and the driver gets his/her first year's NCD. Year two's cover therefore comes in at a kinder price than year one did.

If in year one there's a blame claim then the insurer keeps the £1000 and year two remains pricey.

This is assuming that drivers will insure themselves anyway.

Premiums would have to go up, the principle of insurance is that the risk is shared out by all drivers.

So to illustrate this with figures plucked from the sky, theoretically for every £1500 premium collected per person half of those are expected to have a £3000 claim.

Giving money back to those who don't make a claim will push up the insurance cost to those who do, resulting in effectively a £3000 bill for the first years insurance with half getting a £1500 refund.

I doubt I could afford that layout now let alone when I was 17. This might make them drive more carefully though so could possible reduce the £3000 per 2 drivers ratio I've hypothesised.

I did propose it as an incentive for new drivers to be vigilant and cautious. I understand what you are saying completely though. Someone has to pay ultimately.

I think most underwriters detest car insurance. I'm pretty sure there's no margin in it at all. It's just a necessary evil they have to tolerate if they want to be able to offer the rest of their financial products and services to all of us.

there is, get the younger generation to go on sumone elses insurance who then in turn gain there no claims if they stay with tha company. theres a certain red phone insurance company tha does this i think. cheaper than insuring it on their own.

but if the young ones are on someone elses insurance they are a named driver and not the main. if they are driving the car more than the main driver then insurance can become a problem.
reading through the small print on an old policy i found that my wife wasnt covered for commuting so in the case of her car being in the garage she wasnt insured to drive my car to her work

thats when you say to the insurance co, what you want. most will try and accomadate you just to have your business.
it is a minefield with insurance though. not my favourite thing but a must.

I have been living in Costa Rica for the last few years, There the insurance is a goverment monopoly and also pays for the ambulances and fire brigade. and paid for as part of your road tax. Road tax is valued on the value, co2 and age of your car. It;s a great system and of course you can take out additional cover if you want. Here they just charge far too much and then don't wish to pay out.
There was an elderly woman on tv the other night who had been with the same insurance company for 50 years, her house was wrecked in a flood and the insurance company only paid out 40% of the costs required to put the house right. They should be sent to prison for that.

I don't agree with people doing it, but I think that some insurance companies give young drivers no choice. A my mate pays £1500 for a 1.1 106! Now he is ok, cause his mum and dad are well off, but I couldn't afford that.

I would never drive without insurance, but I can understand how people who don't hae the money would be tempted!

I have been living in Costa Rica for the last few years, There the insurance is a goverment monopoly and also pays for the ambulances and fire brigade. and paid for as part of your road tax. Road tax is valued on the value, co2 and age of your car. It;s a great system and of course you can take out additional cover if you want. Here they just charge far too much and then don't wish to pay out.
There was an elderly woman on tv the other night who had been with the same insurance company for 50 years, her house was wrecked in a flood and the insurance company only paid out 40% of the costs required to put the house right. They should be sent to prison for that.

Sounds like they used the under insurance clause and she was 60% under insured. It is to prevent people with £400k homes insuring them for £100k and then making lots of smaller claims, people think they are buying a maximum claim limit rather than an insured value and this really is not explained to people.

Sounds like they used the under insurance clause and she was 60% under insured. It is to prevent people with £400k homes insuring them for £100k and then making lots of smaller claims, people think they are buying a maximum claim limit rather than an insured value and this really is not explained to people.

Yes, I agree to a point.

But if you choose to under-insure, specifically excluding certain items from your contents cover then that should not impinge upon any claim. obviously you cannot ever claim for those items.

would be interesting to know if in this case the woman had ever had the property revalued or the insurance company were just basing the premiums on whatever the first declared value was? If so surely they could also be in trouble for being negligent.

I think insurance companies should be more tightly regulated!

for instance: when somebody makes a claim, the insurance company should be legally obliged to pay the compensation within a certain time limit unless proof can be found to refute the genuineness of that claim.

If you look through your policy you won't find any promise to 'pay up' ON TIME! Took my brother 6 years to see any money.

PI's get a lot of their work from insurance claims concerning RTC's. If you ask me we should have 'Insurance Company Police' to protect the policies that we pay so much for.

I've even had Fake debt collection letters from one company from a debt collection agency that didn't exist!

in Portugal the fine is 1 minimum monthly national salary, if police stop you only.
if you get caught in an accident without insurance , get your ass ready for court and jail and heavy fine !

Currently no insurance carries between 6 and 8 points and a fine in the UK.

Plus the police have the power to take the car off you & impound it untill such time as it is insured.

I still don't agree with 'no insurance' being penalised more than having no MOT or an un-roadworthy vehicle.

At the end of the day, isnurance is about Money & only money. & the people who benefit the most are always the insurance companies.

Last edited:
The type of person who does this does,nt give a toss about anyone else they are not bothered about the damage they do to anyone elses car,or injury to people.So they aint bothered about a fine,they wont pay it,if banned they will still drive.They just dont give a toss.I would shop anyone i know who was doing it,the next car they hit could be mine or yours!!.

non insured driver=minimum monthly salary payment (500 euros) + car taken away+log book and driving license taken away(delivered back after procecussionand payment of fines + court and possibly prison if accident happen.

non MOT = 250 euros + log book and driving license taken away 'till you do an MOT and pay the fine

road tax is the only thing not as serious as the above ones... but you'll pay at least 3 times more the value of the road tax if you're caught without it. BUT , log book and driving license taken away 'till you pay the fine.:)

remember , in Portugal you MUST show all the necessary documents on the spot. no messing around on that ! lol
if you dont have the documents with you (log book , I.D. card , driving license , insurance document , mot doc. , tax road doc ) you get a nice 30 euros fine for each one missing.

this is the minimum penalties...

about tuning or modifying car , simply put , NOT LEGAL!!! lol:cool:

Insurance companies I loathe them but reluctantly pay up The only time I have been unsinsured was when i brought the car home as it was 11 pm at night an cover didnt start for 1 working day ..... Felt so paranoid about every police car

Last edited by a moderator:
I have driven without insurance loads of times. Two days ago to be honest when I tired out my misses son's new 1.5 Civic. Only in the street to see what the steering is like and brakes like.

Anyone who says they have never are lying or didn't pass there test till over 25 when fully comp covers you as third party.

BBJ I HAVE NEVER EVER driven a car without insurance. It is just not worth it IMO. I know I'm not alone in this but I do hope I'm not in the minority here.

BBJ I HAVE NEVER EVER driven a car without insurance. It is just not worth it IMO. I know I'm not alone in this but I do hope I'm not in the minority here.

Never?

You have never bought a car of somone and taken it around the block to see what things are like? I know in the eye's of the law that is wrong, but you are going to have to come accross one very angry copper who will do you for that.