Driving without insurance

Realistically, are you telling me you have never, not once, either when buying a car, or having been asked by a mate to go along with him to make sure the car is sound because you know something about cars, not once drove without insurance? :blink:

And secondly, is this site being watched by the British KGB or something? And everyone is just to scared to put there hands up?

No i'm saying you don't have to come across any angry copper for driving without insurance. Any copper will have you for it.
And trust me I have extensive experience of this. ;)

Realistically, are you telling me you have never, not once, either when buying a car, or having been asked by a mate to go along with him to make sure the car is sound because you know something about cars, not once drove without insurance? :blink:

And secondly, is this site being watched by the British KGB or something? And everyone is just to scared to put there hands up?

Fair one.

I just know that in later threads when someone gets hit by an uninsured driver and I ''go to town'' on em, somone is going to refer me back to this page and tell me to stop contradicting myself :bigsmile:

My luck, it will be me hit by the uninsured driver! :(

I'm not saying its ok to driver uninsured. As its not. And anyone doing it should be fined heavily (not the £200 fine you are seeing in the papers all the time)

But there should be a line in the sand, one side, your looking to buy and ''testing'' at low speed on a quiet lane with the owner present, and on the other, driving about town day in day out without a care in the world.

One should be deemed acceptable, and the other not.

But driving without insurance is just that.
Doesn't matter whether your just testing a new purchase or going for a joyride it's still driving without insurance.

you are covered by your own insurance 3rd party if fully comp

this is how I've test drove and bought cars on the spur of the moment in the past

you are covered by your own insurance 3rd party if fully comp

this is how I've test drove and bought cars on the spur of the moment in the past

Many insurers are revoking this now so make sure you read thoroughly. Also, named drivers are NEVER covered to drive other vehicles.

I've always been insured and that is the honest truth. Even when buying a car i've arranged temporary insurance. I worked in the insurance industry and know how things work and what happens when you get caught and this made me more than a little paranoid.

I've always been insured and that is the honest truth. Even when buying a car i've arranged temporary insurance. I worked in the insurance industry and know how things work and what happens when you get caught and this made me more than a little paranoid.
legally I'm covered though aren't I??
Cause I'm insured on cars 3rd party as long as I'm not the registered keeper. so technically if I buy a car late at night when the insurance company's are shut and the v5 hasn't been registered in my name at the dvla I am still covered aren't I??

legally I'm covered though aren't I??
Cause I'm insured on cars 3rd party as long as I'm not the registered keeper. so technically if I buy a car late at night when the insurance company's are shut and the v5 hasn't been registered in my name at the dvla I am still covered aren't I??

I wouldn't want to test this in the event of a collision. Once the money has changed hands you are the owner of the car, even though you're not yet the documented registered keeper.

Better to arrange insurance and collect the car the next day.

No I wouldn't agree with this as the insurance usually states registered keeper not owner.

I wouldn't want to test this in the event of a collision. Once the money has changed hands you are the owner of the car, even though you're not yet the documented registered keeper.

Better to arrange insurance and collect the car the next day.

No I wouldn't agree with this as the insurance usually states registered keeper not owner.
well this is the principle i have always worked with and in my mind i have always been legit!! i hevent done this for quite a few years now. but at 1 point i changed my cars that much in 1 year my insurance company refused to swap the policys over any more:embarrest:

well this is the principle i have always worked with and in my mind i have always been legit!! i hevent done this for quite a few years now. but at 1 point i changed my cars that much in 1 year my insurance company refused to swap the policys over any more:embarrest:
They don't like it when they have to work for their money!

When I change cars I will not drive it until I have the cover note in my hand.
When I drove my new ute out of the dealers a long long time ago nearly got T boned by someone who spead thru a stop sign literely 100 yards from the gate.