Double DeCluch

hey

I was just reading the article on Double Clutching and I was just wondering, what is the advantage of letting the clutch out in neutral rather that just revving the engine while the clutch is depressed. Doesn’t it do the same thing?

Connor 8)

When the clutch is in neutral and you rev the engine the gear box spins with the clutch down it doesn't. The matching of the gearspeed is the main point of double de clutching.

I believe also that the fly wheel spins too but to be honest am not completely sure if this is the case.

yea the flywheel does spinn along with everythin else as the clutch is bolted to the flywheel, or more spacifily the pressure plate of the clutch is bolted to the flywheel and the preasure plate presses on the friction plate that is connected to the gear box via a shaft. so the engine spins the flywheel, that spins the clutch, that spins the gear box, a simple order of power going to the wheels is

engine - flywheel - clutch - gear box - drive shafts - wheels

or slightly more detailed

power from fuel in cylender - pushes down piston and conrod - turns the crank - spins the fly wheel - spins the clutch - spins the gear box - spins the propshaft (only on 4 wheel drive or rear wheel cars with the engins at the front) - spins the diff - spinns the drive shafts - spins the wheels

Thanks for a VERY comprehensive answer STIGGY and for confirming my suspicions! We could do a song like the leg bone is connected to the thigh bone with car parts! I'm sure it'd be a hit! :?

no problem waynne, i think it would be a hit though like bob the builder was in a strainge kinda way lol :lol:

goin to have to give this a try! but it sounds like it is sore on the clutch because surely releasing the clutch while the flywheel is still spinning cant be good for it!??

When done properly there is actually less wear on the clutch and transmission as the speeds generally match so there is no slip and drag at the engagement point! :wink: (I know that some will argue that this is not the case but hey - that's my grasp of the subject!)

I guess theres only one way to find out! :rolleyes: trial and error! lol.
But there could be a way of doing it properly ie. holding it at a certain rev before selecting 1st gear.
If it seems sore on the car i'l not be tryin it again untill i up grade the clutch!