Best I6

RSchwat

Car
87 Volvo 240 DL
I'm looking to (eventually) do an engine swap in my -cough-Volvo-cough-. Please don't judge me.

Anyway, I'm thinking I6.
So my question is: What would be best?
I'm looking for performance of course, but also reliability, something relatively easy to work on, and I'd like to be able to turbocharge it.

Any ideas?
Thanks

I'm looking to (eventually) do an engine swap in my -cough-Volvo-cough-. Please don't judge me.

Anyway, I'm thinking I6.
So my question is: What would be best?
I'm looking for performance of course, but also reliability, something relatively easy to work on, and I'd like to be able to turbocharge it.

Any ideas?
Thanks

BMW has a reputation for durable and powerful inline 6 cylinder engines.

Ok. yeah i read alot about the BMW M3 being amazing as far as reliability and performance, but how is it to work on?

Any idea how much I could probably find one for?

BMW or Nissan 6 cylinder engines are good but Volvo engines can be turbod with good result - in fact some are out the factory .
Presuming you have the 240DL get an engine from a volvo T5 or an R which at least should fit without gearbox issues and will be turbod.
Electrics will be simple ( relatively) and these will tune up easily .
Also is it front or rwd as you need to keep this configuration to avoid it costing ££££s
volvo did both

Fitting a different make isnt straight forward - mountings will be different ( thats if it will fit at all) and you will need to change the gearbox , clutch and somehow connect the drivetrain which wont just bolt on .
THEN THERE IS THE ECU this is probably the most problematical with a same make swop often there will be an ecu that fits with a different make there is no chance = more £££s

The Volvo 260 and 760 used the Renault derived Douvrin V6 engine. This is probably the simplest route. OK not quite as silky as an I6 but much easier to install.

ok. yeah its a rear wheel. i didnt know volvo made front
also, i really dont know much about the control unit.
how difficult is that to figure out, replace etc?
also, how possible is it to replace an auto trans with manual?
basically, i am looking for a power boost. i guess i'll just ask what you recommend for such.

Volvo has been in the FWD market since the early 1990s. The other thing which would be very much simpler would be to install the 2316cc four cylinder turbo unit. This engine saw European use in the 740 Turbo and 760 Turbo models, both of which were RWD. I don't know much about installing a manual gearbox - I suspect this is quite an involved task.