At Last!. I have started on my car ;-) PART 2

Day 220 - 226 - Nothing done

Day 227 - Fitted threaded inserts into sliding window runners.

I reduced the length of the M3 inserts so they fitted the blind holes milled into the runners.

The drill bits are 0.48mm and will be used to make the holes for the 0.5mm spring steel I hope to use for the window securing springs. I also have 0.8mm and 1.0mm steel if the 0.5mm proves to be too weak.

Days 228-231 - Nothing

Day 232 - Started to build front suspension. Sorted out bolts and nuts ready for assembly.

Day 233 - My ideas for spring loading the sliding window didn't work, so I am going to simply fit a couple of knurled knobs to secure it with. They arrived today.

Replacement aluminium left hand thread rod ends are now in the country. RoushYates have also emailed me to say that, as the return shipping costs are rather high, I can keep the original (wrongly sent) right hand threaded rod ends :) Just need to find a use for them now or list on eBay.

Day 234 - 239 - Nothing much done.
Day 240 - Rod ends finally arrived and they are correct!
Day 241 - 242 - Nothing done
Day 243 - Fitted new rod ends to wishbones:

Around 250gms weight saving over the steel version :)

I also centre drilled the connecting bar to a depth of 15mm each end, leaving the exposed and stressed section undrilled. This removed a further 15gms.

A little here, a little there, every little helps :)

I am really looking forward to attacking the inside of the body with a sander.

Last edited:
Day 241 - Won vacuum clamp for mill. Retail at around £110 but they also auction them at no reserve. Got mine for £39 plus shipping of £15 from Germany. Photos when it arrives :)

Day 242 - Lunchtime meal with friends so in no state to work on car afterwards :)

Day 243 - FINALLY started on front suspension. Found some bolts and nuts that needed lightening so it was a slow process. One side's wishbones and vertical link fitted. next step is to put together vertical link, steering arm and wheel sensor, refit linkand assemble hub and disc.

Day 244 - Nothing as barn alarm went nutty so spent most of the day fixing it. Oh, I did win an industrial vacuum cleaner for the barn that will also double as pump for the vacuum clamp :)

Day 245 - 249 - Not a lot

Day 250 - modified caliper spacer and bolts to remove 109gms from each side.

Day 251. Started to put together front suspension.

Day 252 - Continued on front suspension. Found that discs are 6mm too big as they foul calipers :-(

Day 253 - Machined discs so they now, hopefully, clear the calipers:

Also modified front hubs so I can use shorter, titianium, bolts that I ordered today :) Opened existing 3/8 UNF holes to 10mm and lowered seat by 10mm. This reduced the price of the bolts from £68 for 4 to £38!

Day 254 - Ordered titanium bolts to replace items that rotate or are unsprung, some from the UK (metric) and some from the USA (UNF).

Day 255 - First batch of titanium bolts arrived today :)

So prettyyyyyy..

Last edited:
Day 256 - Titanium bolts for CV joints just arrived.

There are usually 24 bolts but, as I have replaced 12 with short studs, I only need 12 Titanium bolts thereby halving the cost :)

Yours for £10.85 T9 :)

Just done a quick add up and these 20 bolts have removed 404.51 grams of rotating mass.

Day 257 - removed approx 70gms from each front sensor trigger wheel:

Photo not too good, but is shows the edge diameter reduced by 1.5mm and the base was also reduced in thickness by the same amount.

Last edited:
Not the sizes I require. We are now a metric country. I found a few sites that specalise in old cars and supply bolts for them but the choice is limited.

Well I had a bit of spare time this morning and I have been phoning around for you OG.
I called loads of people before being given the number for Gosnay engineering in Romford who then gave me the number for Benson & Sedgewick who deal with Titanium - fail :sad2:

The chap at Benson's did however say to try aircraft parts and tooling manufacturers as you may well be lucky, also he said you will have to plead with them for help as they will no doubt have a minimum build order.

Yes, I know Pro-bolt. They can supply most bolts, but at a price.

I bought my M10 x 55mm Gr5 flange bolts from Competition Fasteners for £6.21 each.

Pro Bolt want £13.08 for the same spec bolt! They don't list M12 bolts so I have dropped them an email.

However, thanks for looking Os.

Last edited:
Day 258 - 260 - Nothing done apart from ordering more bolts :)

Day 261 - Spoke to Image Wheels this morning re lightening wheels.

As their 3 piece billet wheels are all made to order on site there is some lightening they can achieve at no extra cost :)

I am hardening up on these retro wheels. I fitted Wolfrace slot mags back in the late 70s and I think they still suit the car as they are not fussy and hide the suspension:

Day 262 - Lightened long diff bolt. Yes, I know the unmodified bolt has a different head but I haven't got another hex head bolt. However, the length is/was the same :)

Removed 70gms

Day 263 - 264 - Nothing

Day 265 - Reduced nut and thread lengths on front suspension vertical links.

Imperial titanium bolts have arrived at sister-in-law's in Anaheim and she is posting them to me tomorrow (Monday). Once these arrive I can finally assemble the front suspension.

We'll see :)

My best buddy has just offered to revamp my motorhome!

His car is ready to race so he needs a new project. As we are both hoping to be racing next year, and are too old for tents, this will be an ideal raceday HQ.

He is coming over tomorrow to discuss what to do and colour scheme with my missus.