At Last!. I have started on my car ;-) PART 2

This is an awesome project, I was just wondering if you aren't at all a bit nervous that something's not going to just warp and twist the moment you lay the power down, I know you working with pro's but still, with all the weight reduction aren't you just a wee bit nervous?

It's that nervousness that is keeping me in check :)

Safety critical items (suspension bolts, arms, steering rack, etc) are not being modified.

Once the car is up and running ( yes, I know) anything that bends (damper push rod for example) will be replaced with a stronger version.

The lightening of the chassis has to be done carefully as this can't be replaced easily or cheaply.

Day 174- Finished left hand flange.

I have a few more areas that I am comfortable with drilling, However, I need advice on the large flat areas.

Anyone know of a formula or 'rule of thumb' that tells me how to deal with these areas without weakening them?

Lots of small holes (25mm) in offset rows or a few large (75mm) ones? One 75mm hole is equivalent of nine 25mm holes in weight saving.

Yes. Holes on their own will make it lighter but weaker. Flaring can put back more strength than was removed, but you have to be careful where you make the holes.

Day 174 - Nothing done.

Day 175 - Just back from talking to my chassis man and we have a plan for the rest of the chassis. I was looking at buying a 3" cutter/flarer at a cost of around £120 from the States. This removes around 50grams ahole. However, I would be able to cut a maximum of 3 holes this big. 150 grams for £120 = £800 per kilo, a bit expensive. using my existing 25mm flarer I can get almost to this figure for no financial cost.

Photos to follow when complete.

Also picked up rear top wishbones that have been tapped to accept adjuster.

Last edited:
Day 176 - Spent evening drilling and flaring holes in chassis

Day 177 - Completed holes in top and side of chassis. Need to tackle underside stiffening plates (added by me) next.

Total removed from chassis so far - 1.24kg
Cost - Broken 5mm cobolt drill bit and a blunt 10mm one.

Last edited:
Day 178 - Continued work on holes in rear uprights and marked out holes in underside.

Day 179 - Nothing done

Day 180. T9 Man came over and I can now continue to make holes in my chassis without burning my hands on the drill! Thanks Os.

Day 180 - Drilled a few holes with my new drill. It was working OK, but nothing special. I then noticed that the speed was set at low. So I turned it to about half speed and away we went! The drill then jammed in a hole and almost sent me across the room! OK, this drill has enough power, I just need to be a little careful :)

Thanks again, Os.

Spent time between drilling holes taking the situpon mower engine apart as it wouldn't fire up. Removed the head to find that the crank goes round but the piston doesn't move up and down. This could well be the problem. Joy.

Lol, I too have been on the receiving end of a jammed drill and nearly had my arm broken, it certainly wakes you up! Muscles and the drill body handle used every time!

As for the mower problem, yep that's not right! :amuse: Reminds me of the time I was at the track attempting to get my V8 Chevette off the trailer, it wouldn't fire up for some reason, was turning over really quickly mind. I thought I'd look under the car whilst the wife pressed the button, yep, flywheel turning really quickly but nothing else was! Somehow it managed to shear all the flywheel bolts!

As for the mower problem, yep that's not right! :amuse: Reminds me of the time I was at the track attempting to get my V8 Chevette off the trailer, it wouldn't fire up for some reason, was turning over really quickly mind. I thought I'd look under the car whilst the wife pressed the button, yep, flywheel turning really quickly but nothing else was! Somehow it managed to shear all the flywheel bolts!

I have one of those T-shirts. First time I used slicks on the Elan at the Pod I snapped a drive shaft. I had a spare so the repair was simple, or so I thought. When we tried to start it these was a spinning noise but no roar. Same problem, I had also managed to shear the flywheel bolts, I'm guessing due to the sudden release of energy when the shaft snapped. Better bolts and 2 more pegs solved the problem

I don't even recall doing anything different to break them in the first place. All I did was load the car on the trailer in the morning and drive about 15 miles and tried to unload it. They must have been fatigued bolts, replaced with new ones and it never happened again.

They must have been hanging on by a thread when you loaded the car and starting it was the final straw. Could have been worse, flat out on the track.

Day 181 - After struggling for 2 hours to get the flywheel off, we found out why the mower engine wasn't working:

Did some more lightening of the pedal box.

The piston is fine, it's the rod that's not quite as is should be. Unfortunatley, the crank is damaged so I need to find out if undersized shells are available. I am also on the lookout for a replacement engine as this will be the easier option.

Day 183. A little fettling on pedal box to take out slack in some joints and free up others. A couple of bolts need to be shortened slightly:

Finally started playing with my TIG welder. First attempts were atrocious. I then found that gas flow was way too low. After that they got a little better but I am too embarrassed to show them here :)

so when it comes to bolting in the pedal box you do remember what holes to use yeah? ;)

and as for the mower how come its 500bhp and finished yet the elan that youve been building for years still isnt :p

We have a Tennessee Walking Horse and a Mule on the paddock at the moment so that is under control. It's just the rest that is getting away from us!

Day 184 - Fitted N/S rear damper fulcrum:

Had a mini Crossing of the Rubicon tonight. Cut off the original rear upright damper brackets that aren't being used by the droop limiters so no going back now :) This also saved a not inconsiderate 158gms :)

Day 185 - Nothing done
Day 186 - Coulodn't find one of the clevis joints for the pedal box so ordered from on eBay.
Day 187 - Nothing done
Day 188 - Nothing done
Day 189 - Had an interesting chat with Dave Naxton from TOTB. I needed to ask him about my car's eligibility for the 2014 meeting. The rules state the original bulkhead must be retained (I've moved mine) and the original suspension mounting points must be retained (Rear is different).

He assured me that this wouldn't be a problem. The rules were written 12 years ago and now he has space framed cars entering.

He is very interested in me entering next year as unusual cars create a lot more interest than yet another Suburu, which dominate the entry list.

He would like me to go to this year's event and catch up with him for a chat. Hopefully I will be able to get up to Elvington Areodrome (near York) on the 28th July. If I do I will report back.

Day 189 - Had an interesting chat with Dave Naxton from TOTB. I needed to ask him about my car's eligibility for the 2014 meeting.

:amazed: A date finally! Open ended yes, but a date none the less!
I shall pencil in the whole of 2014 OG and will try to keep it clear just to see the Elan finished and at it's first public outing :)

:amazed: A date finally! Open ended yes, but a date none the less!
I shall pencil in the whole of 2014 OG and will try to keep it clear just to see the Elan finished and at it's first public outing :)

Same here Os been following the progress since part 1 and I can't wait to see the finished car in the flesh!
Perhaps the first outing could become an official tc's meet!?