Astra Starting Problems

pgarner

TC ModFather
Car
Octy smoke machine
hey hope someone can help

ma mum and dad have a 55 plate astra 1.6

there having problem starting it

when they turn it over it just sits and clicks away with a solenoid somewhere behind the intake manifold
thought it would be a dead battery so got the jump starter to it nothing just more clicking (sorry should mention that i checked the battery vltage it was reading 11.5v). disconnected the battery and connected jump leads directly to the contacts and my car still nothing , i thought that mabye the battery was knackered so took it out of the equation

had to tow the car 2 miles away so the breakdown cover would come out for free recovery ( not something it want to try again, nor do i think my clutch would thank me for it)

has anybody had something similar car currently sitting at a vauxhall garage in dumfries until they can hav a look at it

Hi pgarner, sounds like a flat battery like you thought, but sounds like the starter solenoid is trying to engage hence the clicking. Could be that the leads you used didn't carry enough voltage. All that aside, it is possible the starter has jammed or the engine earthing points are poor or broken. Why didn't you just bump start it and drive it 2 miles rather than tow it?

wouldnt bump start even after disconnecting the original battery and trying to start it both with a jump starter direct to the battery leads ( suitable for up to 3.5ltr ) or using the jump leads and using my car.

dunno what caused that as got it to dealer and they found that a couple of cells had collapsed in the battery. the recovery truck got it started with a big jump starter

doesnt matter anyway they got my answer about it along the lines heap of ******* **** why not buy a decent car next time not vauhall **** ( last 15 years theyve had nothing but vauhalls and every ones had a problem of some sort )

The amps are what counts in a car battery - its like the Torque and BHP figures. I'm sure we have some electricians who can take us through OHMs law etc...

The plus with Vauxhalls is that parts are relatively cheap to buy. Every Vauxhall I've owned had problems with the hazzard light switch!