Astra sxi 1.4 - Modd Recommendations Expertise need

Daimien

Car
Astra 1.4 SXI

Hey Guys, Newby to the forum.

Had my Astra 1.4 SXI for a while now and really feel to get into the Modding game.

Been searching the forum for a while now and it seems "small engine mods" is abit of a "sensitive" subject hahaha. None the less that is my car and so gotta bite the bullet.

as I said before I got a astra sxi 1.4, so advice of what mods to go for first would be great from someone with some technical knowledge and previous experience.

Primarily I want to improve acceleration and engine sound. Never get a chance to push top speed so not so high on my list but still important. (More power will then lead me to get better handling breaks ect at a later date)

How would I go about this? Worth changing performance over time with various different mods or a complete engine change?

Thanks in advance

Welcome!

I'd start by suggesting coilovers and get some decent rubber on the wheels and get it set up to handle tight. Next would be upgraded breaks from an Astra 1.8 SXI as that will help you stop much better and more efficiently. Then I'd probably put in more aggressive cams and a decent exhaust system plus a good enclosed induction kit and a remap.

Hi and welcome.

Broadly agree with Davalav, but with a few provisos, obviously :)

Starting with a 1.4, you aren't going to set the world alight even with extensive engine mods and lots of money. so:

Upgrade brakes - No harm but, as power and handling improvments will not be huge, simply changing the brake fluid and upgrading the pads may suffice.

Better rubber - always a good idea, but don't go silly as large, low profile tyres will increase ride harshness and the steering will be heavy. Also. heavier wheels and tyres will negate any performance improvements made elsewhere.

Agressive cams - On their own in an engine this small without head, valve and injection mods, you will end up, IMO, with a car that is a pain to drive as the power band will be small and high up the rev range.

Free flowing exhaust - fair idea, but don't go too big as a small engine needs high gas velocity.

Induction kit - good for sound but don't expect any noticable power improvment.

Coilovers - Replacement of existing, and probably tired, suspension parts is always a good idea. A little lowering (20-30mm) wouldn't do any harm but get a 4 wheel alignment done afterwards otherwise your new tyres won't last very long and handling won't be optimal.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome.

Broadly agree with Davalav, but with a few provisos, obviously :)

Starting with a 1.4, you aren't going to set the world alight even with extensive engine mods and lots of money. so:

Upgrade brakes - No harm but, as power and handling improvments will not be huge, simply changing the brake fluid and upgrading the pads may suffice.

Better rubber - always a good idea, but don't go silly as large, low profile tyres will increase ride harshness and the steering will be heavy. Also. heavier wheels and tyres will negate any performance improvements made elsewhere.

Agressive cams - On their own in an engine this small without head, valve and injection mods, you will end up, IMO, with a car that is a pain to drive as the power band will be small and high up the rev range.

Free flowing exhaust - fair idea, but don't go too big as a small engine needs high gas velocity.

Induction kit - good for sound but don't expect any noticable power improvment.

Coilovers - Replacement of existing, and probably tired, suspension parts is always a good idea. A little lowering (20-30mm) wouldn't do any harm but get a 4 wheel alignment done afterwards otherwise your new tyres won't last very long and handling won't be optimal.

Oh, and what OG said too... :)

Thanks for the welcome party guys just logged in didnt expect so many replies and sound advice straight of the batt it seems I have come to the right place.

looks like i have to reconsider the order of things. I will take notes and get back to you guys on handling mod upgrades

Also will get some pics up of my Astra at some point I dont know this might be a biased owners opinion but she is a looker ;) haha

Anyone have any advice or general info on astra engine swaps?

Thanks again peoples!