Are fuel saving tyres any good?

glabus

Torque Junkie
Car
fiesta zetec s1600
While I did the aptitude test I also thought I might add this.
Would someone like to check my hypothetical maths theory?
The ad for Michelin tyres
It states that these will save you 80ltrs over the life of the tyre!
There is NO lifespan applicable as driving styles, construction materials etc etc will alter it.
BUT......
It is generally mooted that the tyre/s will last for, say 72000 miles. 12000 p.a (6yrs!!!)
If the car can maintain 40mpg that's 1800 gls/8010 plus or minus ltrs.
80 lts @ £1.15.9 gives £92.80. Divide by 6 (yrs) £15.47. Divide by 12 (mnths) gives £1.29 OR just about .33p a week
Dependent on the car model and many other factors but in particular the price of Michelins Is it really worth buying them as opposed to budget or other lesser priced brands then.
I am quite prepared to admit I might have this theory all wrong but.....
What do you guys think?
Most TV ads areBS anyway aren't they

I'd say the life of a tyre is typically only 2 years - 3 max. (Perhaps it's my driving style!) Over 2 years the savings are more impressive.

They do work very well but unless you maintain correct pressures and avoiding sodding up the alignment by bashing kerbs then any benefit is lost.

Driving style is still the biggest influence. I can take a simple 1.2 Punto and see 26mpg on a long run driven in anger. Yet I can take the E39 BMW on the same trip and drive at the same speeds (which won't need angry driving) and see 37-38mpg. In comfort as well.

think i would be worried more that if they are thinking that the tyres are lasting for 72000 - is this their claim or yours - that the compound would be rock solid. this worries me as generally the harder the compound the less the grip. as for the fuel saving tyres again rolling friction usually comes into it so the less friction less grip part again.

i suppose if you did granny it they might save you some money, but then again if your driving so carefully would you really be spending £xxx on a tyre when you can get one for less than 1/2 the price.
lets say you fuel savers are £120 a corner - to replace all 4 your looking at £480
your semi budget tyres are £70 a corner - so £280 for all 4

your driving means they last you 3 years. are the fuel savers going to save you £200 worth of fuel ? (160ltrs to me at 1.25 a ltr)

The bigger problem is that tyres are made from (apart from the steel, nylon and rayon or other fibres) rubber. It's organic and it will deteriorate and perish long before you wear it out. So a tyre with 6mm tread left, having been grannied, will still be knackered.

72k is very very unusual.

I did think myself that 6yrs seemed a great deal for a tyre:blink:
It seems I have to say Mea Culpa:embarrest:
I misread my info. The supposed lifespan of 6yrs is for an unused tyre on a spare wheel. Once again, the matter is debatable, with some pundits stating that the tyre was fine to use and others deciding to ditch it and get new.
Therefore, as you say; the expected savings might well make the buying of these tyres worthwhile as over 2-3 yrs IF you actually put the savings to one side they would no doubt be enough to purchase another.
However, we have to remember that if ALL the tyres need replacing at the same time.............:p
I guess that when buying anything the number of choices are ones' own criteria:D
I'd say the life of a tyre is typically only 2 years - 3 max. (Perhaps it's my driving style!) Over 2 years the savings are more impressive.

I did think myself that 6yrs seemed a great deal for a tyre:blink:
It seems I have to say Mea Culpa:embarrest:
I misread my info. The supposed lifespan of 6yrs is for an unused tyre on a spare wheel. Once again, the matter is debatable, with some pundits stating that the tyre was fine to use and others deciding to ditch it and get new.
Therefore, as you say; the expected savings might well make the buying of these tyres worthwhile as over 2-3 yrs IF you actually put the savings to one side they would no doubt be enough to purchase another.
However, we have to remember that if ALL the tyres need replacing at the same time.............:p
I guess that when buying anything the number of choices are ones' own criteria:D

Replacing all four at the same time is likely to attract a better discount from the tyre dealer.

I would suggest that after 5 years a tyre should be inspected very carefully before considering using it. Personally I'd ditch a 5 year old spare ASAP.